• Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 2 months ago #1628 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: Three Billion Years
Hi Paul, you'll notice I'm not the only one who continues to view Pluto as a planet - and that's my grown up brain!

vimeo.com/132757057

Rules and categories are incredibly useful, however they're not always right :) Language is an evolving medium and general usage defines it far more than a vote. For me, Pluto will remain a celestial body that is as significant as all the "official" planets. NASSA are coming around to the reality of usage as they now note it as a “dwarf planet" or the made up word "plutoid":

www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/st...hat-is-pluto-k4.html

No one agrees about what a "moon" is at the moment and on the face of it that's a far more significant body to define as we've got one fairly close by. I guess this shows how we humans can forget to see the wood for the trees as we try to categorize or re-categorize everything.

Once you've seen the movie which is the most informative I've found on the New Horizons mission, enjoy the latest news on the Pluto mission here:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/index.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1631 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Three Billion Years
Fast and Light to Pluto

I do sometimes feel old :) i remember Voyager arriving at Jupiter when i was at primary school and being incredibly excited.

New Horizons mission has been every bit as good and as exciting as Voyager's.

Had the information to fill a postcard but now we could write a book or two perhaps especially if you include the moon Charon.

Superb mini documentary Mike...Many Thanks, enjoyed it a great deal, great computer graphics and good information.

I knew about the guy who discovered Pluto had some of his ashes onboard, i do kinda find this somewhat touching.

So a Planet should be Round, go around the sun and clear everything out of it's path.

The discussion from 7 minutes onwards suggests this but like one of those in this film 'my heart will always consider it to be one of our planets' but hey a dwarf planet is ok too.

One thing's for sure Pluto sure is far more exciting than i think anyone had hoped for.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Paul Conway.