Lunar Imagery

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #995 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
Wow amazing photo.

Matthew Stuttard wrote: Crescents eh. This was taken in Istanbul a few weeks ago, moon descending over the Suleyman mosque.
NIKON D5300, ISO400, 140mm, f5.6, 3s
Post processing: contrast enhancement only.

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Doug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fozia, Matthew Stuttard
More
3 years 7 months ago #1048 by Matthew Stuttard
Matthew Stuttard replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
From my garden in Surrey, England 01.27GMT 6 April 2015
Nikon D5300, 300mm, ISO100, F15, 1/15sec
Tripod mounted, remote release. Telephoto set to manual focus at infinity.
Just looks like a blurry blob on the full res original - but when zoomed in and cropped at full resolution: Wow!
Love the lighting of those craters on the Eastern limb.
Reddish colour visible on the seas.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa, Fozia
  • Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 7 months ago #1049 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
Lovely photo

My other signature is much better than this one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matthew Stuttard
More
3 years 7 months ago #1053 by Matthew Stuttard
Matthew Stuttard replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
Soo, I have had an idea, maybe good, maybe not.
It concerns internationalisation of the LM1 project - which (as those who attended last Saturday at the Royal Institution learned from David Iron) is of critical importance. As we all know the Moon is visible from every place on Earth -> so everyone can take a photo wherever they are. How about curating a collection of great moon shots taken from all countries with a recognisable cultural context (building, structure, landscape, sculpture - think Easter Island!, face, animal, plant ...) in the foreground.
I posted a pic of a famous Istanbul mosque a few days ago, here is one taken in the foothills of the Himalayas in Nepal (April 2013).

Not a 'great' shot but immediately recognisable as being in a Buddhist region, though not locatable to a specific country. Perhaps there could eventually be a criterion that the specific shot for curating the collection should be taken by a LM1 backer resident in the country associated with the pic. Apparently there are 196 countries, so eventually a collection of 196 photos. A great point about this is that powerful (collections of) images transcend language - and even time. Just think - once we have got to say a collection of 50 distinct national or culturally locatable pics it could draw others in to be the contributor for their country or culture, and that helps to spread the whole LM1 idea in countries and/or cultures. The collection could also become part of the LM1archive.
Just throwing it out there for comment on this Lunar Imagery forum and not a personal project I am volunteering to do! Personally I'm happy just to seed the idea and not 'own' it. Martin - as you are the moderator on this topic I defer to you whether or not to punt this one up to the LM1 core team for further consideration. What do people think?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa, Fozia
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1054 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
Hi Matthew, I think you've had a great idea! This could form the bases of a fascinating publication if there are enough contributions and it's edited well. I'd also suggest this has a topic of its own - perhaps call it "Earth and Moon"?

Something we might emphasize is that you don't need a snazzy camera to do this. A phone camera would produce some equally impressive results.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
More
3 years 7 months ago #1057 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Lunar Imagery
I think it's a great idea as well.

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)