When did you learn to love space?

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #683 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
I've always loved space
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Abi.
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #690 by Abi
Ive always loved space
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Abi.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #740 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Tv series along with James Burke's Documentaries in the 1970's (if you know not of he then try a search on YouTube) the Space one's being my fav's.

Star Trek The Original series seen as a young kid on a B/W Tv as well as seeing the incredible Stanley Kubrick film '2001' at a fairly early age.

I was also given a Futuristic Spacecraft Book from the 1970's? which actually showed up on a recent Brian Cox documenatry series & there was also a Cigarette Card collection from this era that i had which showed the missions of the 1960's and future one's to come (I bought the card set back again a few years ago, called 'Journey into Space' I think)

Later in my teens i played a Space trading Game called 'ELITE' on my C64, slow but at the time different and fun.

Stefan - That sounds like a fun book :-)

James - You lucky, lucky fellow, i would love to have seen a Space Shuttle launch (the closest i came is when my friend and i bunked off school to vist Manchester Ringway Airport in the early 1980's to see a fly over by 'Enterprise' the prototype that was piggy-backed on a NASA 747...that was a GREAT experience but NOT as good as seeing a real lauch (sighs) the pilot actually made a 2nd run and so we got a decent photo of this)

I hope James as this mission (LM-1) gets closer and if launched as i suspect from Europe? that i might actually get somewhere close to it to see it :-)

Abi - I think most kids do dangerous stuff (we just can't help it) my father had a huge set of binoculars back in the 1970's, so heavy i could hardly lift them but i always found myself going outside with them and pointing them up to the MOON.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
More
3 years 8 months ago #749 by Abi
hi Paul :) true, but we don't want to encourage them to do this ;)
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #761 by Abi
Paul, I'm trying to picture you gazing up at the Moon with those very heavy binocs :lol:
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Abi.
  • James Parker
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Man...... I Love Science!
More
3 years 8 months ago #764 by James Parker
James Parker replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Paul, To make it worse Iv'e seen 2 launches. The 2nd Shuttle was the ill fated Columbia Shuttle. ( way before it broke up ) and this trip was planned. It was called off on the first countdown, and in the afternoon it launched.
We were at a hotel overlooking the Banana River, and across this was Cape Canaveral, and watched the launch.
I do have a picture of it on Canvas hanging up in my house. I will post a picture of it if interested?

I would assume the launch of LM1 will be in Europe, and again I am assuming it will be in Kazakhstan. So there is no chance I will get to that. I'm not risking going over that way...

@JP_Astronomy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi