When did you learn to love space?

• bigbangtrimm
  • bigbangtrimm's Avatar Topic Author
  • dif tor heh smusma
More
3 years 8 months ago #319 by bigbangtrimm
bigbangtrimm created the topic: When did you learn to love space?
I'd like to hear your story of how you became interested in space technology and exploration? Did it come from a teacher you had growing up? Everybody's story is interesting to hear, so why not share them?

Michael A.
President & CEO at Trakify

"Live long and prosper" - Spock
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawkes
  • Fawkes
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Also known as Lee
More
3 years 8 months ago #345 by Fawkes
Fawkes replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Hmm good question. For me it was not school. almost nothing about space exploration was taught me in either primary or secondary education unfortunately. It would most likely be star wars where it started off for me. I loved them at a young age particularly episode 2. Not most peoples favourite but it had a fantastic duel with Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi Wan against the coolest Sith Darth Maul. not to mention the pod racing was pretty good for it's time. After star wars hmm. Unsure but a game series called Mass Effect certainly got me interested in space exploration and the future. It's a well known game series particularly for its engaging story driven gameplay and choose + consequences system. Past few years I discovered Star Trek and have watched just about every episode of all series since.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigbangtrimm
  • bigbangtrimm
  • bigbangtrimm's Avatar Topic Author
  • dif tor heh smusma
More
3 years 8 months ago #417 by bigbangtrimm
bigbangtrimm replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
That's interesting Fawkes. My obsession with space started when I was 8 or so and would watch the Science Channel. Tuesdays were Space night from 6PM-9PM with shows back to back about space. Carl Sagan was always on it and I really liked learning about that kind of stuff. The imagery was what engaged me the most and my imagination made it possible for me to dream big. I didn't get interested into Star Trek until well after college. Now that I have been acclimated with it, I am a huge trekkie now. I have a captains uniform, pips, and more to celebrate it! Though by beard would definitely make me more of a Riker kind of person. I also think my personality is as such too.

I'm interested about hearing from other members of the forum! Come on folks, this is important stuff - it all shows where our similarities come from.

Michael A.
President & CEO at Trakify

"Live long and prosper" - Spock
More
3 years 8 months ago #593 by Fozia
Fozia replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
I don't think I ever learned to love space... because I was born loving it! My earliest recollection is in my Grade 1 class of our teacher taking us to the school library for free time to read any books we like. I always picked books from two sections: Space and Dinosaurs... No one specifically pointed out those ones to me. Rather I found them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi, bigbangtrimm
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #628 by Stefan
Stefan replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
I was inspired by a fantastic book I read as a child. I can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else here who has read it can? It was written in the style of the popular 'horrible' series. It took you on a tour through our solar system, and each planet had its own alien. I always remember the sad one on Pluto (when Pluto was a planet!) that looked like a deflated balloon, hugging the ground dearly to try and avoid flying off into outer space, thanks to Pluto's low gravity.

Then a combination of telescopes, space programs, Star Trek and studying astrophysics.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Stefan.
  • James Parker
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Man...... I Love Science!
More
3 years 8 months ago #672 by James Parker
James Parker replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Great question Stefan and some great answers as well.
Mine had nothing to do with School or any teachers.
My inspiration was my Dad, he pushed my interest into Astronomy and space exploration when I was 9, where we went on Holiday to Florida, and by coincidence Space Shuttle Discovery was due to launch from the Cape.
It was an expierience I will never forget. After this I was hooked and he brought me books about Space, and I was so interested in the Apollo Missions, My favourite film to this day is Apollo 13.
The older I got ( and am getting ) my love for space has flourished and will never leave me.

@JP_Astronomy