When did you learn to love space?

• Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #778 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
:P I think your right to smile Abi, it must have been a sight, they were waayy to big for me and
heavy at the time and the Moon was always difficult to keep in view with them, wobbling out of view but
I had to keep trying :-)

James, Lucky indeed, they must have been some sight, you were also lucky NOT to have witnessed that
ill fated one.
Kazakhstan launch??? I would be surprised if this was the case...but where? well I read this and maybe
it might be right here in the UK? wishful thinking perhaps but if so I'd be there :-)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27222077
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #783 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
With the great advances being made by SpaceX (whose launch facilities are in the US as of now I think), would they not be in the running for a LM1 launch? Or indeed the ESA from French Guiana?

But then again, a lot will change in 10 years and LM1 is largely UK based with an international effort. Exciting times ahead :)

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Doug.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #788 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Good points Doug.
USA launch would be a lot safer & of course the French Guiana is the obvious one but I'd have my
fingers crossed for a UK launch (not impossible I guess) but the others are more likely.
More
3 years 8 months ago #791 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
I imagine it'll ultimately all come down to cost Paul. Space is an expensive business and particularly launching things into it. I'd imagine that fact won't have changed much in the next 10 years and will have quite a bearing on the location where LM1 is booked into to take off into history :)

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
More
3 years 7 months ago #925 by MarkG
MarkG replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Like so many others from the UK, I probably have to thank Sir Patrick Moore, though I'm sure Star Trek and my Grandfather had a big part to play.

I was interested in science (mostly physics) and technology back to my school days, but the fascination with space came much later and 'grew on me'. I've watched The Sky At Night for many years, and was a fan of Star Trek from TNG onwards. Since then I've joined the local astronomy society (and I'm now on the committee that runs it), seen a shuttle launch (STS-131), and started studying astronomy to degree level.

I've just recently discovered how involved my Grandfather was with space - I knew he had a telescope, but it's only this year I've found out how involved he was with the Royal Astronomical Society and British Astronomical Association. Today I've picked up a huge stack of his paperwork to look through, much of which I suspect dates to the Apollo era. Going to be a fascinating but challenging read!
  • Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 7 months ago #926 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: When did you learn to love space?
Wow Mark to think your Grandfather had a deep passion for astronomy and you do too. Must be in the genes!

My other signature is much better than this one!