Recommendations for people new to all things space

• Martin P
  • Martin P's Avatar Topic Author
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #642 by Martin P
Martin P created the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
I imagine there are some people completely new to this area of Science and have come to Lunar Mission One purely because they liked the look of the kick starter campaign. They may even want to learn more about our Moon, solar system and astronomy.

Can anyone recommend any websites, magazines and books etc that would help someone completely new to this area learn more about it?

My other signature is much better than this one!
  • Angela Lamont
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • LM1 Founding Trustee
More
3 years 8 months ago #644 by Angela Lamont
Angela Lamont replied the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
Thankfully there are looooads of resources and nice friendly ones they are, too! Although there are lots of good sites, for people who want to interact with others whilst they learn, the free online FutureLearn courses are amazing. There's one on moons for those who have joined LM1 and want to know more about our nearest neighbour - and the other moons in our solar system too. And there's a great course on Orion, perfect if you're new to astronomy because you can see it so easily with the naked eye.

You can do the course at your own pace if you want to, or you can do it side-by-side with other learners and chat online as you go. I'd never done this kind of course before until I did the moons course a couple of months ago and I'll be doing more in the future, as it was so much fun! It also gives you pointers to lots of extra resources, too. You'll find the courses listed here: www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories/s...maths-and-technology

Wisdom is what you realise to be true about 20 years after someone older and wiser tried to tell you...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi, Fozia, Martin P, Stavy
  • Martin P
  • Martin P's Avatar Topic Author
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #650 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
Having done a few of the Future Learn course Angela I can 100% recommend them. The quality and wide variety of the courses is great and all for free!!! I know I will be signing up for the two you have mentioned, could do with a refresher :-)

My other signature is much better than this one!
  • Angela Lamont
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • LM1 Founding Trustee
More
3 years 8 months ago #652 by Angela Lamont
Angela Lamont replied the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
I'm going to do the moons course again, too, as last time I just did the basics and there were so many extra resources I didn't have time to explore....and I miss playing "moons top trumps"!! :)

Wisdom is what you realise to be true about 20 years after someone older and wiser tried to tell you...
More
3 years 8 months ago #678 by Fozia
Fozia replied the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
At a very high level I would recommend Neil De Grasse Tyson's Cosmos Episode 1- which covers Cosmology. It's a great overview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin P
  • James Parker
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Man...... I Love Science!
More
3 years 8 months ago #679 by James Parker
James Parker replied the topic: Recommendations for people new to all things space
Absolutley agree with Angela - She recommended a Moon course released by Future Learn - There has been so much I have learnt about the different Moons of the Solar Syatem I didnt know.
Brilliant course

@JP_Astronomy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin P