Drilling Operation Technology

More
3 years 5 months ago #1403 by TC NG
TC NG replied the topic: Drilling Operation Technology
Dear Paul E Bennett,

Thank you for your reply. I would follow your leadership for contributing my decades experience for LMO / Drill . I may able to travel to Europe during Oct/ Nov for ESA missions? Welcome to contact me direct via e mail?

Best,

TC
  • Andy G0SFJ
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
  • Radio "ham" , SF novelist & member of amsat-uk
More
3 years 5 months ago #1405 by Andy G0SFJ
Andy G0SFJ replied the topic: Drilling Operation Technology
If you are in the Netherlands on 4 October, ESTEC in Noordwijk(Outside Leiden, not far from Amsterdam) has an open day for the general public. I am going again, and they usually have lots of displays of equipment.

You have to register at:

www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/esa-estec-open-da...stration-17495794392

and bring your passport ID.

andy, g0SFJ

Read my interplanetary SF novels - 'Yuri Gagarin's Soul', 'Of Martian Lines', 'A Pyramid of Tiny Skulls'. My bio at www.amazon.com/author/andythomas . Also: 'Reason to be Fearful', and 'Nullitopia'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pebhidecs
  • pebhidecs
  • pebhidecs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
3 years 5 months ago #1406 by pebhidecs
pebhidecs replied the topic: Drilling Operation Technology

Andy G0SFJ wrote: If you are in the Netherlands on 4 October, ESTEC in Noordwijk(Outside Leiden, not far from Amsterdam) has an open day for the general public. I am going again, and they usually have lots of displays of equipment.

Thanks Andy.
Unfortunately that clashes with another conference in the UK (for which I am co-organiser). So, much as I would like to have hopped over for that one I am unable to be in two places at once. Thanks again for the heads up and perhaps some of the others might attend and report back.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
HIDECS Consultancy
  • pebhidecs
  • pebhidecs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
1 year 1 week ago #3536 by pebhidecs
pebhidecs replied the topic: Drilling Operation Technology
Knowing it has been a bit quite I figured an update was probably worthwhile.
The team have seemed to focus on the wire-line drilling method of pushing a 15cm core drill with a mole like creepeing action to push it down. Drilling temperature will be necessary and the controls will need to address that. As for teh extracted Lunar soil, it is estimated to be about 7.9 cubic metres of material, and will have to likely be ejected after analysis onto a position opposite the drill site.
Bore-hole lining has several ideas being researched and explored. From laser sintering of the surface of the borehole, 3d-Printing regolith to provide a smooth wall or even installing a stent lattice. Energy requirements and carried mass may determine which idea will win out.
It is worth looking at the papers submitted in other areas and adding your comments to those ideas in this forum.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
HIDECS Consultancy