• Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1164 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa created the topic: The Fall of Sky
I completed a new artwork and poem today for the Lunar Mission One community to enjoy:

www.lunarmission.gallery/thefallofsky.html

More than a metric ton of meteoroids hit the moon every day ...

In researching this work I was fascinated to discover the moon has a whisper thin atmosphere , although very little is known about it at this stage...

Mike
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago #1178 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: The Fall of Sky
Mike! WHAT!!!
The Moon has an atmosphere? even a thin one, did anyone else here know this?
Please tell us more...and surely now that we know this we might get more ideas about how to find out more about this with
the help of LM1? small sensor parachute types before touching down?

This new Art reminds me of one of the pebble beaches I visted recently in Scotland, upon which I was lucky enough to find
a strange looking rock (totally different to anything else on there, it stuck out like a sore thumb) once I got home i checked
it out thanks to the internet i found it to be a piece of 'Volcanic Rock' damn! thought it was a piece of 'Moon Rock' :P

Ah well, still a cool looking rock which probably came from 'Arthur's Seat' the extinct volcano in Edinburgh.
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 7 months ago #1190 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: The Fall of Sky
Hi Paul, it is a great walk up to Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, one of my all time favourite cities. If anyone travels to Scotland I highly recommend a visit to the National Museum of Scotland - a place I've spent very many days in rich discovery over the years.

That there's an atmosphere on the moon opens the possibility of elements being distributed around the moon in ways I hadn't appreciated before - I wonder if we might define that as weather. The best resource at present seems to be the NASA site:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ladee/mission-overview/index.html

The scientific minds among us will no doubt think of a host of invaluable experiments that could be done with an array of miniature atmospheric sensors. I wonder whether the way those tiny particles move might tell us something about more dynamic weather systems. I presume tidal forces have an effect on the moon weather as much as those high temperature changes. As we don't see cloud, it's easy to think there's nothing going on :)
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1192 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: The Fall of Sky
Thanks for the link Mike...that timeline design is very similar to one found in an old 7" record fold-out I have showing the Apollo mission.
I couldn't see any mention of this atmosphere here though, as you say it must be willo the wisp thin but comprises of what? and just
how does this remain there? as you say we can't seem to see it, so it's obviously only readable by advanced tech...maybe LM1 can look
into this?

You know the funny thing about our Edinburgh is that we were based just outside of it over the sea (we could see the lights every night)
but we never actually made it into the city.
The Zoo and the panda's were on the list...but we never made it :-(
The National Museum you mentioned was on the list...sadly again, we never made it :-(
and yes Arthur's Seat I had researched and was also on the list (I sound like the guy on the 'Who Dares Wins' game show) but due to time constraints and being the only one that could have managed it, this was also sadly scrubbed from the list :-(

We did get to see The Falkirk Boat Lift (amazing achievement) the stunning Kelpies (2 giant horses in metal, you'd appreciate this I think Mike), the Air Museum that houses Concorde (blimey it's tiny inside) St Andrews was fun as recreated the "Chariots of Fire" run on the beach :-)
Hidden Secret place 'Lower Largo Beach" truly wonderful place and upon which I found this strange looking volcanic rock.

Scotland is a truly beautiful place with wonderful people, we've been all over the place, the island of Iona is something else as is 'Arran' which they simply call Scotland in miniature.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Paul Conway.