• Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 8 months ago #136 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa created the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
Education is a core component of Lunar Mission One and we're fortunate in having a strong team of individuals and institutions that are on the LM1 Education Team:

lunarmissionone.com/index.php/Lunar-Miss...ional-prospects.html

lunarmissionone.com/index.php/About-us/meet-the-team.html

The members of this forum can also pay a crucial role in shaping the content and breadth of educational experiences that Lunar Mission One delivers across the globe.

Let's kick this discussion off by sharing a time we've been personally most engaged in a learning experience. That might be watching something online or TV - as much as being taught by a great classroom teacher. Perhaps you watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos as a child:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

Or it might have been when you interacted with others like the opportunities available at Future Learn and the excellent Open University's Moon MOOC (Massive Open Online Course):

www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons

A family member or friend might have been your greatest influence - a particular person is often the source of an intense educational experience.

Your most memorable moment of learning might not have been in a formal educational context. Watching the Apollo missions unfold was for example a catalyst for my enthusiasm for space exploration. I learn most through direct experience and play, but for others it might be through intense study.

So type away and share a moment when you were inspired to find out more about something - that thirst to understand unlocks our potential.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi
  • James Parker
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Man...... I Love Science!
More
3 years 8 months ago #151 by James Parker
James Parker replied the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
Morning Mike

I agree, Education is key to this mission and there seems to be some very talented people on board, Working as part oft he team and also many backers seem to have some great ideas also.

I see you mentioned the Future Learn OU Moon Course. I completed this last month, and it was extremley interesting and learnt a lot more information about the Moons of the Solar Syatem and indeed our own. As it was a free course I recommend people going to their site ( which you have mentioned ) and take a look at what courses they offer. You are able to buy a certificate of participation at the end ( which I did :-) )
There seems to be many more courses which are due to be released soon also, Including the Great constilation Orion.
Thanks for mentioning it Mike, I thought i'd add my experience in also.

@JP_Astronomy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa, David Rothery
More
3 years 8 months ago #162 by Hayley
Hayley replied the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
Mine definitely began with my Dad showing me the constellations from our dark back yard. I was afraid of the dark and he took me outside and showed me how I should not be, how there is such beauty in the night skies that can only be imagined in the daylight hours. Orion was the first one I learned to recognise and it has remained my favourite ever since :)
When Halley's comet came around my Dad told me I was named after it (my first name is Hayley, however I believe he spoke in jest :) ) and I was so excited seeing the images of it coming in from Giotto!

I have taken my own children out to see the night skies since they were tiny. Our two eldest are both LM1 backers in their own right and the younger ones are an interested part of our pledge :)

We recently bought a telescope and I will never forget the excitement we all felt on looking at the moon through it for the very first time! There were so many loud OH WOW'S and our youngest daughter was bouncing all over the place, she could not believe what she was seeing! They kept looking at the moon in the sky, then back through the eyepiece, then back at the sky again! It ended up being quite a late night for them as we travelled visually around Jupiter, M3 and various other sights, but the sky was clear and they were having a wonderful time! I hope it is an interest that they all keep :) Their enthusiasm fires my own that bit more too and drives me to learn more to share with them :)

I am on Twitter: @almostarobot :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
  • James Parker
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Man...... I Love Science!
More
3 years 8 months ago #163 by James Parker
James Parker replied the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
What a lovely story Hayley - Unfortunatly I never got to see Hayley's Comet, I will be 73 ( I think ) once that comes back and visits us. I was lucky enough to see Comet Lovejoy in our skies recently and got a nice Image of it also.
I can't wait to show my children the joys of space when they are older and appreciate it all a lot more.
There is so much to learn and it facinates me, and I want to pass on my interest to my Children and to be amazed at the Wonders of the Universe

@JP_Astronomy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hayley
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 8 months ago #164 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
Hi Hayley! What a great post :)

When discovery is so enjoyable, when it has personal significance, when we see it enthuse those closest to us, it is infectious, and our ability to learn jumps to a whole new level :)
More
3 years 8 months ago #177 by Hayley
Hayley replied the topic: My Inspirational Learning Experience
Thank you both for such lovely replies, I did not realise my post had got quite so long! :blush:

James, I saw Lovejoy too and managed to photograph it through my 300mm lens. The children got to see it with the camera on the tripod and were amazed at the colour!
Hopefully you'll get to see Halley's comet next time round, till then there is always the Orionids :silly:

I am on Twitter: @almostarobot :-)