• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #3550 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: John Mahoney (77) TV's Martin Frasier Dies
"FRASIER" was one of the ALL-TIME BEST TV Comedy series & the likes of which we RARELY see anymore today.
It was a spin-off from another FUN Television Comedy series "CHEERS" & it did something which most spin-off's series rarely do it bettered the original & excellent CHEERS.

This series featured a GREAT CAST & had a wonderful set up...Frasier is working as a Radio Talk Show Host (in his element) but then having to return to his FUNNY / MATTER of FACT ex Police Officer father MARTIN CRANE played by the EXCELLENT Manchester born (ENGLAND that is, he was one of us, super accent you'd never know right?) John Mahoney back at HOME, coupled with Niles his hilarious brother & Daphne (Martin's helper) & of course not forgetting EDDIE the DOG!!! (LOVE Eddie) :kiss: & the excellent supporting cast back at the radio station.

The WRITING was EVERYTHING here...So CLEVER for such a comedy series but just as important GENUINELY FUNNY & John Mahoney was a major factor here, seriously without Frasier's DAD here it would not have been the same, I guess he reminds me a little of my own father, same age, same favourite chair & cushion :) I LOVED this character.

And so I thought it more than worth a comment here...NOT SPACE related for a change!

I would URGE anyone that has not seen this EXCEPTIONAL comedy series to just buy ALL the SEASONS in one BIG BOX SET & then laugh yourself silly, although as with most of the best television comedies there are a number of episodes that take a turn to the dark side & are heart breaking & for sure emotional but if you know of a better comedy series (and PORRIDGE here in the UK & M.A.S.H come awfully close for me) then let me know? ;)

There is ONE particular episode that is PURE COMIC GENUIS & it is called "HAM RADIO" with Martin (John Mahoney) stuck back at home with Daphne wondering what strangeness is going on whilst Frasier & Niles attempt to put on a radio serial entitled "NIGHTMARE INN" and it is for me one of the BEST TV COMEDY EPISODES EVER!

Do please check it out, without John Maloney as FRASIER'S father Martin it just would NOT have been quiet the same, one of the series I watched in my twenties that has stayed with me.

Never a week seems to go now without someone I grew up with in Film / TV / Music or some other person in a different field (eg SPACE) that I admired leaving us & JOHN MAHONEY was certainly one of those.
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #3551 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: John Mahoney (77) TV's Martin Frasier Dies
'HAM RADIO' is such a CLASSIC & FUNNY episode that I thought I would try & seek it out for you folks here on YOU TUBE...

Sometimes you get LUCKY, especially with the older series & amazingly I found it although sadly it is not in full screen but if you have a spare 26 minutes or so give it a try & try not to notice the oranges & lemons passing by (or the urge to eat one :lol: )

Not perfect having those fly by but it's worth a watch anyway...in fact, this episode is SO GOOD you almost don't really need the moving image (THAT'S HOW GOOD THIS IT) it actually works brilliantly as an AUDIO TREAT, playing out like a COMEDY RADIO PLAY of a kind...so just play it & listen to it in the background whilst you go about some work or play an online game perhaps? it will still have you chuckling (well most of you) just as much even if you don't view it...this is GREAT 'Funny' WRITING.

You'll never be able to say 'Multiple Murderer' ever again without laughing :lol: & thinking of this.

ENJOY

Now I am off to see who they got for the new series of LOVE ISLAND ;) NO NOT REALLY :angry:
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.