A GREAT DAY for GREAT BRITAIN at the WINTER OLYMPICS

• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #3557 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: A GREAT DAY for GREAT BRITAIN at the WINTER OLYMPICS
I felt it was worth a posting here as this was a HISTORIC moment for BRITAIN at the WINTER OLYMPICS.

Never have we had 3 medal winners in ONE DAY and so it's proud day THANKS to...

LIZZY YARNOLD...Gold in the skeleton
LAURA DEAS...Bronze in the same skeleton.

WOW! we knew LIZZY (defending OLYMPIC CHAMPION) could do it but the fact she did it in such great style was IMPRESSIVE.
LAURA bless her, after her run her face & body language said it all...I've blow it, she was 2nd with LIZZIE to come (she dropped to 3rd after lizzie's awesome 4th run) & she was stood there knowing she had little chance of hanging on to 3rd & that BRONZE Medal with leader about to start her 4th run...little did she & we know that she would make even bigger mistakes, felt sorry for the leader...not to get a medal of any kind will take some getting over but OH THE JOY for LAURA who is friends with LIZZY....they did us PROUD.

As did our 3rd medallist in the same day (a first for us Brits)
IZZY ATKIN take a bow with your BRONZE in the SKI SLOPESTYLE.

WHAT A GREAT DAY...I LOVE the WINTER OLYMPICS...it is my dream to visit one someday!

It was only tempered by the AGONY of the wonderful ELISE CHRISTIE who's LUCK at the WINTER OLYMPICS is Tragic.
The LOVE & GOODWILL this lady will have next week from us BRITS for her final attempt at a medal in the 1,000m will HOPEFULLY pull her through if she's not too injured?
She deserves a BIG SLICE of LUCK at this stage having been either disqualified or not completing her runs over 2 OLYMPIC GAMES.

Come on ELISE you can do it!

A GREAT DAY....well let's be honest we're NOT going to win EUROVISION again anytime soon right ;) yeah that competition is not political at all right? :whistle: I don't think we'll win the EUROVISION SONG CONTEST again in this century.
Terry Wogan god bless his soul & Graham Norton know this...Countries living next too each other will vote for each other no matter how BAD those songs are, we Brits just smile & predict this & laugh along with Terry & now Graham.

BUT at least we have control in such competitions as this (THE OLYMPICS, THE WORLD CUP etc) but the SONG CONTEST forget it, it's a JOKE but thankfully we BRITS get it & are the only one's with the balls to say so, they'll never forgive us for leaving the EU & all that money they'll LOSE, thankfully the WINTER OLYMPICS does not concern such nonsense so CONGRATS to Lizzy, Laura & Izzy :kiss:
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 3 days ago #3563 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: A GREAT DAY for GREAT BRITAIN at the WINTER OLYMPICS
Another GREAT DAY for Great Britain.

Now OK we didn't actually win anything but sometimes it's not about winning or even getting medals, it's a GREAT DAY if we do something a little unexpected, better than we thought & that happened today THANKS To...

The British two WOMEN BOBSLEIGH Team.

I hadn't even heard about there STORY until my sister told me about it yesterday.

It seems our OLYMPIC COMMITEE did not have enough money to fund these two British women & so they started up a KICKSTARTER kind of FUND to get themselves there...they asked for £30,000 I understand (geezzz we couldn't afford £30,000??? well it was also said they didn't get this because it was deemed they had VERY LITTLE CHANCE of medalling...wait for it :) ) in the end the British public & others got them to £50,000 as I understand it...wish i'd have known about this, would have thrown a few pounds into the kitty, I mean I've probably wasted nearly 100 pounds on this mission (LM1) that won't happen & at least these WOMEN delivered.

OK they didn't win & they did not medal but they did threaten to win a medal...after 2 runs of 4 they were in 6th place!!!!
They dropped back & ended 8th!!! are you KIDDING ME? this is OUTSTANDINGLY BRILLIANT.

The ex female British bobsleigh OLYMPIAN back in the studio then went on to explain....

1) THIS WAS THEIR 1st OLYMPICS (shame on the British Olympic Committee)
2) It was a TRACK they were NOT used to & where not too fond of it.
3) Had they had the SLED's that some of these other countries (such as the USA & GERMANY had) that were made by PREMIUM TOP NOTCH COMPANIES...BMW one such :lol: THEN she explained each of those automatically had a faster run of 0.2 seconds...over 4 runs & with other things taken into account that's 1 second, that would have brought our girls right into the mix for medals!
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 3 days ago #3564 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: A GREAT DAY for GREAT BRITAIN at the WINTER OLYMPICS
Another GREAT DAY for Great Britain.

Now OK we didn't actually win anything but sometimes it's not about winning or even getting medals, it's a GREAT DAY if we do something a little unexpected, better than we thought & that happened today THANKS To...

The British two WOMEN BOBSLEIGH Team.

I hadn't even heard about there STORY until my sister told me about it yesterday.

It seems our OLYMPIC COMMITEE did not have enough money to fund these two British women & so they started up a KICKSTARTER kind of FUND to get themselves there...they asked for £30,000 I understand (geezzz we couldn't afford £30,000??? well it was also said they didn't get this because it was deemed they had VERY LITTLE CHANCE of medalling...wait for it :) ) in the end the British public & others got them to £50,000 as I understand it...wish i'd have known about this, would have thrown a few pounds into the kitty, I mean I've probably wasted nearly 100 pounds on this mission (LM1) that won't happen & at least these WOMEN delivered.

OK they didn't win & they did not medal but they did threaten to win a medal...after 2 runs of 4 they were in 6th place!!!!
They dropped back & ended 8th!!! are you KIDDING ME? this is OUTSTANDINGLY BRILLIANT.

The ex female British bobsleigh OLYMPIAN back in the studio then went on to explain....

1) THIS WAS THEIR 1st OLYMPICS (shame on the British Olympic Committee)
2) It was a TRACK they were NOT used to & where not too fond of it.
3) Had they had the SLED's that some of these other countries (such as the USA & GERMANY had) that were made by PREMIUM TOP NOTCH COMPANIES...BMW one such :lol: THEN she explained each of those automatically had a faster run of 0.2 seconds...over 4 runs & with other things taken into account that's 1 second, that would have brought our girls right into the mix for medals!

4) And HERE's THE GREAT DAY bit....DESPITE THIS...
They FINISHED 8th in the WORLD & this is the HIGHEST any British women's 2 Bob has EVER FINISHED.

That is INCREDIBLE & they're young.

GET THEM FUNDED & properly EQUIPED to give them a fairer chance at WINNING the THING in 4 years time in CHINA!

The GB Women qualified for the CURLING Semi finals another GREAT DAY for the British Women.

The GB guys curling team struggled...had they beaten the USA they would also have found themselves in the SEMI's (I think if you get to the SEMI FINALS you play off to reach the FINAL but should you loose that you then play off for that BRONZE MEDAL)
Thankfully, they'll have a chance TONIGHT at MIDNIGHT as they were 4th = so will have to PLAY OFF for that important place, i'm hopefully rather than confident having seen them play this week.
GOOD LUCK LADS.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 3 days ago #3565 by Paul Conway
The names of those two British ladies that got us 8th with average equipment & having to worry about getting their own funding to get here...

MISCHA & MICA

Remember those names...if GB get their fingers out it may well be they not only medal next time but might even WIN IT.

8th in the WORLD :woohoo:

ONLY 1 team can win the GOLD MEDAL but really how many even make it to compete at the OLYMPICS?

Your an OLYMPIAN & that's really rather COOL B)
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 2 days ago - 11 months 2 days ago #3566 by Paul Conway
ARGHHH
GB guys curling side go down to a crushing defeat.
4-1 up at around mid-way but they somehow managed to giveaway 5 stones in one end!!!!! almost unheard of, we couldn't believe that final stone the brit captain made...it was (or seemed to us) a NOTHING shot!
Ah well at least the women are through & may fancy themselves for a FINAL PLACE? and a guaranteed medal? HOPE SO.

BIG NEWS in the CURLING was NO CANADIAN TEAM making the FINAL...again, almost unheard of.

Those snowboarding races would have been my kinda thing back in the day...I loved racing my bike & skateboarding but thesedays? just feeling OLD so enjoying simply watching, although I still hope to visit one of these WINTER OLYMPICS one day? GREAT STUFF! even the ice skate dancing which isn't normally my kind of thing.

Almost at an end hope you folks have enjoyed it too...NEXT UP...THE FOOTBALL WORLD CUP FINALS in Russia!!!
Still can't believe they awarded Russia with this competition & yet I have a funny feeling ENGLAND will go much closer to WINNING it this time (more than any other time...this time...we'll get it right) credit to ya if you got that song quote & some of those that sang it?

Almost time to put my miniature curling game away for another 4 years & dig out the SUBBUTEO World Cup Edition Box set & my 1:1 full size replica of the World Cup Trophy.

COME ON ENGLAND....you CAN do it!

Any team with a top 3 of HARRY KANE, RAHEM STERLING & DELLI ALLI surely must have some chance?
Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
11 months 18 minutes ago - 11 months 10 minutes ago #3570 by Paul Conway
FANTASTIC WINTER OLYMPICS...LOVED every moment.

ELISE will be BACK I CHINA 2022.

Will LIZZY? attempting an INCREDIBLE 3rd GOLD? who knows but what a performance to bring back GB's only GOLD.

Felt sorry for the GB Women's curling team...it was right there for them...but maybe in 2022? delighted for the JAPANESE team, even when they LOST to KOREA in the Semi's they smiled, shook their opponents hands with a smile upon their faces.

GREAT ICE HOCKEY FINAL (One to almost match the USA v USSR classic way back when) Russia edged it vs Germany but WOW!
The lowest ranked team at these Olympics came within 1 minute of winning the GOLD (and they had the POWER PLAY) Arghhh felt for them!

SUPER CLOSING CEREMONY...LOVED the OPENING ONE too...WELL DONE KOREA.

Now then where's the next one? CHINA, in 2022, hmmm, so, I LOVE the Winter Olympics, I think I would LOVE CHINA too (yes to be sure they need to work on some of their human rights but I think they are HEADING in the right direction) & there are places I would dearly love to see in CHINA...the PANDA PARKS (who don't love PANDA's?), THE GREAT WALL & the TERRACOTTA ARMY & EMEROR's PALACE.

Recently saw a BBC documentary & CHINA is high on my list of DREAM DESTINATIONS.

Will I make it there? one day perhaps but that date of 2022 including the WINTER OLYMPICS makes it a interesting prospect (then again CHINA is so BIG...the travelling could take it's toll on my tiring older legs :lol: )

And if that NEWS that Kim Jong In has again got together with the South Korean leader is correct?

Then surely that HAS to be GOOD NEWS...maybe (just maybe) he's FIGURED IT OUT...being a part of the WORLD is better than being SEPERATE from it.

Will they ever be a complete UNIFICATION of North & South? probably not anytime soon but closer ties is surely a good thing.

I never understood what KIM JONG UN was doing?
I don't think any of us did?
It was not an intelligent move...NUCLEAR WEAPONS cost MILLIONS & will NEVER BE USED (not even smaller TACTICAL one's as it will ONLY lead to the bigger one's!) and this ALL at the expense of HIS OWN PEOPLE, it was not a clever choice & the reasoning that he was doing it because he was afraid of an AMERICAN launch is CRAZY & just WRONG.

AMERICA was never & would never launch a Pre-Emptive NUCLEAR StRIKE (EVEN with TRUMP at the helm but they would have certainly ended it had KOREA launched on anyone near to them or the USA themselves)

SO perhaps he's finally seen SENSE? one can only hope, they have the NUCLEAR CAPABILTY OPTION now...GOOD FOR THEM :dry: but at WHAT COST? (and not just the millions/billions paid for these useless things)

I PAY tribute to CHINA for being fairly tough on North Korea (I think this has helped) & I wish CHINA a GREAT & HAPPY WINTER OLYMPICS in 2022 & I perhaps I have a 1% chance & the hope of being there myself (well it's a chance anyway?)

PEACE
Last Edit: 11 months 10 minutes ago by Paul Conway.