THOR : RAGNAROK a Wonderfully OTT MARVEL ACTION COMEDY

• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #3571 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: THOR : RAGNAROK a Wonderfully OTT MARVEL ACTION COMEDY
Are you a MARVEL? or DC? fan, hey it's OK to be BOTH but generally if you read comics? or even if you didn't?
Then you generally preferred one set of characters to the other.

MARVEL is my choice...the characters from these comics have always been my favourite...they are just QUIRKY & FUN.

SPIDERMAN, THE FANTASTIC FOUR (there have been some decent stabs at getting the feel of the FF comics onto film but none have really come off to any GREAT EFFECT & STYLE...funnily enough the bootleg ROGER CORMAN version comes the CLOSEST & it's a HOOT) THOR & HULK & even SPIDERWOMAN were FUN as comics as was DOCTOR STRANGE.

I had a grandmother that owned & run a newsagents back in the 1970's so I managed to get many of these MARVEL COMICS but the movies for the most part back then any MARVEL MOVIE output was SCARCE & when they did turn up they were FUN but CAMPY TV MOVIE versions, speaking of which I would heartily recommend the splendidly camp TV MOVIE for Doctor STRANGE.

But let's be honest...

DC got there first with the MOVIE adaptations & even I would have to admit that although I was never brought up with BATMAN or SUPERMAN or WONDER WOMAN of which the recent movie was GREAT FUN & SPLENDIDLY entertaining they have been the BETTER MOVIES with only the likes of the more recent BATMAN vs SUPERMAN, SUICIDE SQUAD & apparently JUSTICE LEAGUE letting the side down.

But go back to those first two SUPERMAN films from 1978 & the sequel in 1980 & you would have to say they were marvellously :dry: done, even Superman 3 with Richard Pryor was a HOOT & I am one of the few that found SUPERGIRL to be fun (perhaps HELEN SLATER had something to do with that & the fact I was still a teenager back then :woohoo: ) the BATMAN series of the 1960's was a CAMP classic & it was followed by a couple of later BATMAN films (that still stand the test of time by that visual artist director known as TIM BURTON) Batman with Jack Nicolson was SUPERB but even BETTER was BATMAN RETURNS with DeVito as Penguin & meow MICHELLE PFEIFFER as the PURRRFECT 'Catwoman'

THAT having been said 'MARVEL' have finally caught up with DC & more than that they have shot past them...making DC a little old hat now (oh yeah bet you were wondering well what about CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's BATMAN efforts?....yup those are RIGHT UP THERE with the VERY BEST)

But it's MARVEL's WORLD now...and I am DELIGHTED.

You don't just get SUPERHERO CHARACTERS with MARVEL...you got some truly QUIRKY, UNUSUAL & STRANGE STORIES.

MARVEL started off getting these individual characters up there on SCREEN & now they are pairing up left right & centre but we don't just get your average type of stories ala BATMAN & SUPERMAN (although I must say "MAN of STEEL" is VASTLY UNDERRATED & UNDER APPRECIATED, it is a TERRIFIC Science Fiction / Action / Superhero film this one) oh NO we get the QUIRKINESS seen in the comics & the panels in those comics brought to LIFE on the BIG SCREEN & that is thrilling to those like me.

GUARDIANS of the GALAXY I supposed STARTED this UNSUAL, QUIRKY nature...and GOD BLESS James Gunn for trying something very different in the MARVEL MOVIE franchise...both films with these set of characters just make me SMILE & LAUGH (they are PERFECT for me)

We got ANT-MAN again quirky & science fiction based (elements of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN...if you have never seen this film you really should)

ALONG came DOCTOR STRANGE...many said this was the film that would halt the MARVEL train...it didn't & even though it was perhaps a more difficult sell, another ORIGINS movie which people sometimes TIRE of but it was GOOD & by the final half of the movie we were heading into INCREDIBLE multi-dimensional realms & magic & cloaks that could think for itself...this character is now set up for incredible adventures (and it helps that BENEDICT CUMBEERBATCH is in the lead role)

And so to THOR : RAGNOROK

Won't spoil it for you folks...all I will say is this, it is perhaps the most different of ALL the MARVEL films so far (haven't seen the super reviewed BLACK PANTHER yet) why? like GUARDIANS...it so QUIRKY & DIFFERENT & UNEXPECTED.

The HULK / THOR TEAM-UP is FUN...FUN...FUN...you just won't believe how much fun this partnership is.
The lady that teams up with these two is shall we say known by THOR...She is SPECTCULARLY COOL, FUNNY & BAD ASS (she is played by Brit TESSA THOMPSON & she is going to be a BIG FAN FAVOURITE)
LOKI's back :lol: who don't LOVE LOKI & the first time we meet him...you'll be laughing & wondering what the hell is going on! TOM HUDDLESTONE is just so damn funny...you can see where we are going with this film it's OTT & FUNNY...I love that! sometimes the DC FILMS seem POE faced with little COMIC SUPERHERO FUN...these MARVEL FILMS are retaining those elements & getting MORE QUIRKY & OUTLANDISH by the second....And if you didn't already know I LOVE WEIRDNESS (I am still awaiting my pick up & trip around our SOLAR SYSTEM by those folks up there, especially keen to see that small rocky outcrop on PLUTO)
Who else do we have here that ADDS to the FUN...OMG it's CATE BLANCHETT....Foxy with some great quips, almost didn't recognise her (she rocks her outfits...you've got to LOVE these superhero outfits right? just not sure about the CAPTAIN MARVEL one being worn by BRIE LARSON? as seen recently) but CATE here plays the villain & she's just a whole lot of fun too.

KARL URBAN is here!!!! WHAT!!!! I LOVE Karl URBAN he's the joker in the recent TREK FILMS (BONES...Dr McCoy) & gets BONUS points for playing JUDGE DREDD & keeping his visor ON...he does a TURN here KARL ;)

What? YOU WANT MORE? well WHY not throw JEFF GOLDBLUM into the Mix....NO WAY!!! not wise cracking JEFF GOLDBLUM!!! YEAH really.

This is OTT MADNESS & it works a TREAT.

I could not believe how QUIRKY & DIFFERENT this was...it looks AMAZING.

ONLY recent films I have seen so far are BLADE RUNNER 2049 which is OUTSTANDING & this THOR: RAGNAROK which is completely different, it's difficult to compare different types of films & I LOVE 'EM BOTH but I have to say being a MARVEL BOY I ENJOYED the HELL out of this!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...it even has NAUGHTY HUMOUR :lol:
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #3572 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: THOR : RAGNAROK a Wonderfully OTT MARVEL ACTION COMEDY
A Taster of the 1978 TV MOVIE of "Dr Strange" I tried to find the full version movie for you folks but it has been removed so here is the trailer...

You'll also find this FUN...

And DON'T FORGET the MARVEL MOVIES always have 2 extra endings...one soon after the credits roll & one at the very end of them!

And just while I have you here I noticed this new filmed version of THE BLACK KNIGHT...yup there's stuff up there right now you folks would NOT BELIEVE...
Just hope this isn't FAKED...if not then it should just come down and say Hi, we normal, ordinary folks are far better & nicer than the folks in charge.
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Paul Conway.