• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #3584 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: OSCARS 2018 Thoughts
I have ALWAYS loved FILM & The OSCARS so of course I managed to stay awake for it this year, especially after what's gone on in recent times.

There have been 2 superb documentaries on this vile / power mad fella HARVEY WEINSTEIN on Channel 4 & BBC1 more recently (and they can't ALL be wrong!) how could you NOT feel for these women put into this position? even some fella's were sad to be verbal abused by this awful human being & of course there are others that had power in HOLLYWOOD that abused their positions.
That SHOULD be the END for them...no redemption, no return, you blew it as HUMAN BEINGS!

Jimmy Kimmel returned to hosting duties...he's fun but I do miss BILLY CRYSTAL :lol:

I think one of the stand-out moments for me was with regards to 'TIME's UP' when 3 lovely actresses appeared together (clearly nervous) they were SALMA HAYEK (guys like I will remember her in the awesome "From Dusk Till Dawn" vampire film playing a sultry snake charming dancer) she has been to the Oscars on numerous recent occasions I can recall, Ashley Judd (who thanks to Weinstein it seems was more or less black listed) & then there is the still BEAUTIFUL Annabella Sciorra (I couldn't list too many of her films for you but I always remember her as a smiling & very attractive actress) but if the stories are true she was very badly treated by this guy & had not been at the OSCARS for many, many years due to him always being here...LOVED what Seth McFarlane said LAST YEAR during the nominations! it was BOLD...so now these ladies don't have to pretend to like this guy anymore (well none of them ever have to do so ever again)
It was a nice moment I thought...How this ever happened is anyone's guess? let's hope it NEVER happens again.

WOMEN are WONDERFUL...we wouldn't be here without them, sure we can get bad one's too just like men (but it seems men have a knack of using & abusing their power, THESE are NOT REAL MEN...they're NOTHING but COWARDS & BULLIES & they do not reflect the MEN I have known)

And so onto the SHOW ITSELF...

I enjoyed it, a FANTASTIC STAGE DRESSING, the OSCARS are now quiet as ENTERTAINING or LAVISH as I remember them back in the 1980's & 90's but perhaps that's because back then there were still HUGE NAMES in the acting world, we still have them & some are still around (but they are OLDER & no longer attend) we also used to get some delightful SHOWPIECES & specially FILMED Segments, this being said I still enjoyed it.

Many of my favourite films won OSCARS...
"DUNKIRK" & "BLADE RUNNER 20149" who Roger Deakins had a hand in, HOW this British Cinematographer had NEVER won an OSCAR in all this time is anyone's guess? but he rightly won it in my opinion for this superb looking sequel to BLADE RUNNER.
He was director of photography on one of the GREATEST FILMS ever made for goodness sake "The Shawshank Redemption" (If there is anyone that never cried when they first saw this & that ending needs to back away from me right now!)
He did a recent & overlooked science fiction film that I think is very relevant to today's society called "IN TIME" I highly recommend it to you folks, it's already attained CULT status (I have a FUN Promotional item from this film given away by the film studio in the form of a WATCH :woohoo:) & this film is always superb to look at thanks to Roger Deakins.
He also had a hand in the 007 outing 'SKYFALL' one of the best which had a quality look & feel to it, so no surprise to final see him win one.

Two films which I have not yet seen but which picked up a number of OSCARS were PIXAR's 'COCO' I just know i'm going to LOVE this one & "The Shape of Water" which just looked different all those months back when I posted up that trailer.
I hope to be seeing these very soon & agreeing with the decision.

LOVE that Gary Oldman won an OSCAR & dedicating it to his 98 year old mother (come on PAPPY see if you make this?) his "Get the Kettle On" was such a British & FUN thing to say at the end there.

Frances McDormand is a real character :lol: super actress too, I can't say this looks to be my kind of film because it doesn't but from what I have seen it was probably the right choice? Sam Rockwell winning for the same film in BEST Supporting Actor (I really wanted Woody Harleson to have won it even though I haven't seen it? is that wrong? i suppose)

Best Supporting Actress when to Allison Janney :woohoo: now again, i have not seen the film 'I, Tonya' looks interesting but not really my kind of thing but i will just always remember her as CJ from the AMAZING television series written by SORKIN "The West Wing" some of the best television ever & CJ was right at the heart of things...so delighted for her personally.

The 2 BIG AWARDS...

Best Director DEL TORRO, i get the feeling i am going to love "The Shape of Water" looks like my kind of thing, although i do have some sympathy for the brilliant Christopher Nolan who for a long time was the front runner, his CV of films is looking MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE & it's surely ONLY a matter of time before he wins the big one.

BEST PICTURE? this also went to "The Shape of Water"
Well i have not yet seen it so can't really comment on it, judging by the trailers & clips i would say there is every chance i might agree but was it? is it? better than "BLADE RUNNER 2069" ? "DUNKIRK" ? hell i know this next one is NEVER going to win something like BEST PICTURE at the OSCARS but i LOVED the hell out of "THOR RAGNAROK" but here's one that got dismissed by THE OSCARS...

"WAR for THE PLANET of THE APES" it's a close run thing with these other three i have seen but it surely deserved a place in the final list? & for me it would get my BEST PICTURE award.

I am glad "GET OUT" got awarded an OSCAR for the screen writer / director JORDAN PEELE (he's going places for sure)
I can recommend this unusual dark take on RACE but it makes for a quirky, fun, twisted HORROR film too.

"THE SILENT CHILD" win was a NICE SURPRISE for we Brits...who would have thought an e Hollyoaks actress & cage fighter would win such a thing? just goes to show.

There was a nice SENSE of HUMOUR by the OSCARS bringing back FAYE DUNAWAY & WARREN BEATTY to present the BEST PICTURE AWARD again...good on 'em for agreeing, if any of you folks have never seen Beatty's "HEAVEN CAN WAIT" movie you really should give it a try, it's delightful, charming fun.

And that's about it...a decent show all round & perhaps the WEINSTEIN thing will in an unfortunate way bring about a BETTER more even & just WORLD...we need it, women have every right to not have to go through such old HOLLYWOOD nonsense (TIME's NOT JUST UP...it's TIME TO GROW UP) pay all women the same as a man doing the same job...this should have been done from the year DOT & women should be making more pictures (directing, producing & writing them) & don't cast off older women either...men continue to work way past their 60's & 70's there is no reason to not cast older women...i shall never tire of watching Michelle Pfeiffer's performances.

HURRAY for HOLLYWOOD they finally DID what they SHOULD HAVE DONE...got rid of all the NASTIE PASTIES, THE POWER CRAZIES & brought more WOMEN to the FORE....it's a TIME to REJOICE & GET ON WITH THE SHOW...Hurray for Hollywood....you get the idea (taken with the tune of the song from "There's No Business like Show business")

Till next year ;)
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #3585 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: OSCARS 2018 Thoughts
Speaking of the still beautiful Michelle Pfeiiffer...

I have just watched her in the AWESOME, ENTERTAINING & CLASSY looking film "Murder on the Orient Express"

Highly Recommended with a turn from Kenneth Brannah as Hercule Poirot which is brilliant.

ALL the cast are superb, it looks brilliant with a great atmosphere & you will NEVER guess who the murderer is?

Would make for a GREAT late night Christmas film.

Oh and keep your ears open for the END CREDITS SONG...

A song wonderfully performed by Michelle Pfeiiffer...could tell it was her but waited for the credits for confirmation, what's more Mr Brannah wrote the lyrics.

Bring On...DEATH on THE NILE.