BURT REYNOLDS Tribute (DAMN)

• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #3695 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: BURT REYNOLDS Tribute (DAMN)
I am a BIG fan of Burt Reynolds & his earlier movies (for the most part)

He was the BIGGEST Movie Star during the 1970's & created some FUN MOVIES which will LAST a LONG TIME in the MEMORIES of some of us, so you can imagine how I felt when my sister informed he had died (DAMN...but slightly stronger language...GUTTED)

I knew he was frail & I had read the reports about his health problems on recent movie sets (why some feel it acceptable to report such accidents & incidents on set at the age he was is anyone's guess? not very respectful, well, such matters will probably come to all of us in later life (should we be lucky enough to get to this sort of age?) Burt made it to 82, good on ya fella!

Burt's pro football path was halted by an accident but thankfully that put him into Tv & Movies & I for one am grateful because he made a number of GO TO MOVIES for when your a bit down on life! and with THAT I want to hear ya SHOUT out Thanks Burt...go on? no one else is listening (except perhaps Burt himself)

Of course BURT as a guy wasn't PERFECT but it seems he was a genuine type & one who was affected by the LOVE of HIS LIFE walking out on him (the little beautiful pocket rocket in the shape of SALLY FIELD) she will be feeling very sad today having been so close to him for a good number of years, so here's hoping it does not hit this lovely actress too bad.

So, I thought I would list my FAVOURITE ALL-TIME Burt Reynolds movies (won't be everyone's but I think a good number of them should be on your BEST Burt films)

It's not what one would call a brilliant line up of films but there are a few GEMS here as well as the well known FUN FILMS & his ROLES in them that we came to LOVE him in.

I ONLY ever saw 1 (just one) of Burt's films at the cinema but it was ONE I will ALWAYS remember & for this reason it is perhaps a little higher than it perhaps should be? but it made an impression on this young 9 year old lad going to the cinema with his old man.

Again, it was my father that got me hooked on Burt's movies & this goes for the likes of Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, Robert Redford thankfully these guys are still with us.

Tough, take no nonsense kind of fellas who were generally GOOD GUYS & looked & acted like REAL MEN, these types are now getting rarer it seems to me in this strange world (I mean seriously we now have guys shaving they're chests, crikey when i was a young kid/teen this was looked upon as the macho look, now it's a no, no, which amuses me no end, we've even got a LIVERPPOOL football Tv Ad in which a group of the players are seen using a new gel, seriously? cringeworthy, I mean can you ever imagine BURT doing such a thing? or these other guys? I find this new generation strange, probably my problem but I just don't get it!)

And with that, let's see that brilliant hairy chest, moustache & cowboy hat in my NUMBER ONE Burt film...

1) CANNONBALL RUN.
One of my Go to Films, brings a smile to my face, Burt plays JJ McClure in what is basically a RACE (Comedy) film.
And if you liked this one then you might want to track down the film I think it was copying somewhat 'The Gumball Rally' which is super FUN.

Oh and don't dismiss Cannonball Run 2 either, yeah it's not quiet as good & the guest stars are not as good & it's basically re-run of this first film but it has it's moments, not quiet as polished as this original but worth a look.

2) Smokey & the Bandit (1977)
This first original one is clearly the better & more funnier film & it co-stars his rocket pocket (Sally Fields) & it's without a doubt another of my GO TO FILMS...this will CHEER you up & the Sheriff played by an hilarious JACKIE GLEASON almost steals the film from Burt here with his quips & stories & swearing :lol:
It's basically another car chase movie & one which is probably even funnier than Cannonball Run (but that particular film is one we had on early videotape & I got to watch it when I was younger much more than Smokey which is probably the better (just))
S&TB 2 with the elephants is just as entertaining & fun.

3) HOOPER
This is the one my father took me to see at the cinema as a young kid & i LOVE IT!
Grabbed me from the beginning when we get to see a clearly beat up BURT getting kitted up in leathers & gloves for a BIG STUNT.
Yup the Tv series FALL GUY probably got the idea from this totally entertaining film.
The lovely SALLY shows up again & it's a film about a has been STUNTMAN (Burt) & the new blood...if you have never seen it you should give it a try, it's the kind of film they really don't make thesedays, car chases, stunts, quips, stories, heartache & generally just a nice group who LOVE EACH OTHER, adored this film back then & still do today & Burt plays this character again we have come to LOVE ( i guess Chris Pratt comes the closest to something like this today with his Guardians of the Galaxy character & Jurassic World roles)

4) THE MEAN MACHINE or AKA 'The Longest Yard' in the USA
I got to see this when i was younger & found it to be a real HOOT.
We've got this macho Football player (Burt) & his co-jailers, no waxed chests & legs for these guys! & they're about to take on the guards in an EPIC them vs us American Football Game (which i happen to LOVE thanks to Channel 4's 1980's games shown Live)
More adult in nature with some salty language (as you would expect in a jail) but it's a very well done film with Burt on top of his game here against the warden's & those trying to take him down a peg or two (having been a BIG, famous footballer)

Do NOT watch the remake with Vinnie Jones it is simply HORRIBLE...track this original down, you'll LOVE IT & this probably gave the makers of the brilliantly funny 'STIR CRAZY' ideas for that film.

5) DELIVERANCE
Yup this one does make my TOP 5 Burt Reynolds films.
It's serious stuff, directed by a Brit (John Boorman who would later go on to direct the brilliant EXCALIBUR) who Burt would thank for helping get the role in this dark, hunting trip film, in which the hunters became the hunted.
There is a scene in this film that is still hard to watch (you'll know the one) but it's a tension filled film that is very well acted by all in it but especially by BURT who was perhaps never any better than here?
Still has an impact now when seeing it.

So these are without a doubt my standout BEST 5 Burt movies but he made a good deal more before these & after...
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3696 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: BURT REYNOLDS Tribute (DAMN)
Just wanted to add a few more to the list.
These might not really come anywhere near the quality or FUN of the above five films but they are well worthy of watching when they show up on Tv at sometime...

"GATOR" he had previously played this character in 'White Lightning' but i found this sequel far more to my tastes.
This also has a brilliant ARTWORK poster which thankfully i have, i also have the British Quad art poster for CANNONBALL RUN 1 & the AWESOMENESS of the 'HOOPER' UK Quad Poster showing the CAR JUMP at the end of that film!

SHARKY'S MACHINE (1981)
A tough gritty COP film with a super title song 'STREET LIFE'
This is the one with RACHEL WARD as his hooker girlfriend...told ya it was gritty, it has a super cast too.

CITY HEAT (1984)
This SHOULD have been BRILLIANT as it teams Burt up with another of my favourites CLINT EASTWOOD.
It has it's moments of fun but overall i was left disappointed by it, it's also a very dark film (as in quiet literally, you can hardly see what's going on)
A film that should have been a HUGE HIT but wasn't, perhaps i shall re-visit this one again some time soon & re-evaluate it?

THE END (1978)
Is perhaps one of the most QUIRKY films Burt ever made & you know what it kinda works, Burt finds out he's on his way out & goes off on one.

SEMI-TOUGH is another FOOTBALL Comedy which i can only remember having seen once (unlike all the rest here which i have seen many times before) i found it lighthearted & fun, would be nice to see this one again.
Again, this has one of those BRILLIANT 1970's POSTERS with fantastic ART although it is a little naughty & suggestive but in a British Carry On kind of way.

BOOGIE NIGHTS is a good film (being a fan of HEATHER GRAHAM it appealed to me at the time) & although Burt isn't in it a great deal he gives a super WINNING performance but it's not a film i return too to be honest & whatever you do don't watch this one with your parents :whistle: Dirk Diggler is a sight to behold :lol:

So there you have it, my tribute to BURT REYNOLDS, the type we don't really have too much in these days & HE is the type i think the likes of i will very much MISS...HA HA HA (thought i would try my text version of his trademark laugh but it just don't work does it)

In which case try this on for size.....
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #3697 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: BURT REYNOLDS Tribute (DAMN)

or maybe this...

But i think we'll sign off with this short one (raising his hat...as i do to him tonight)

It's a hell of a laugh ain't it? :lol:

Rest easy Burt or if we are indeed playing out lives within a non-linear timeline then simply PLAY IT AGAIN Burt ;)