DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT (Sunday 7th OCT 2028)

• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #3758 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT (Sunday 7th OCT 2028)
EPISODE 4 The Spiders of Sheffield

It was OK, FUN, LOVED the Giant Spiders but story wise? hmm got to be honest it could have been much better.
This was not a patch on the spooky Tom Baker Spiders episode (or maybe I see that one through rose tinted specs?)

They are still finding they're feet, the thing I do LOVE about this new Group are these new characters.

LOVED the effects for these Giant Spiders & who don't LOVE Giant stuff SPIDERS, ALIENS :) they're ALL GOOD!

We've often wondered with the AMOUNT of Intelligent ALIEN SPECIES out there WHICH? is No not the most intelligent (almost GOD like I bet) types but which is THE BIGGEST? are there Species out there that are as BIG as say the DINOSAURS were? or our BLUE WHALE is here on EARTH & can you imagine that.
Used to be a fun American series called 'LAND of the GIANTS' (way before my time but I heard of it & Channel 4 used to re-run it) & in it we HUMANS crash landed on an Alien World that was populated by Humans (like us) but FAR BIGGER, think KING KONG sized.

Now try to imagine a STRANGE LOOKING (to us) SPECIES that is that kind of SIZE but one's that are also INTELLIGENT....like, WOW!

Bradley's character has more depth (already) than I thought he would, knew he was a good actor but he's missing her isn't he? as you would but these ADVENTURES will provide him & the rest of this cast with plenty of chances of DISCOVERY...

I can ONLY Envy them.

How I wish I could Hope around the GALAXY in a ship like the ENTERPRISE, exploring, discovering & hopefully (when we do get to this point) HELPING other species & the TIME ELEMENT is one anyone would like to TRY? but WHERE would YOU CHOOSE?

Would probably head straight to 1947 & ROSWELL to witness the CRASH or CRASHES? some say there was two?

Fairly sure one crashed & I believe Astronaut MITCHELL who came from ROSWELL when he said IT HAPPENED & his Friends from here told him all about it, so yeah I would like to go back & just give my brain that STAMP of YES for SURE IT HAPPENED (they'll always be a little bit of doubt without seeing it for yourself) problem with me is I would probably want to help them but how could you? and should you? the answer is probably NO you shouldn't?
Like those that say I wish I could go back in time and KILL HITLER....it's a good thought, you might think you would be saving all the JEWS in those GHASTLY Camps or bring the War to an earlier end BUT THEN AGAIN who knows? what comes from doing this?
STRANGELY it could be WORSE?
As it stands ;) we know we WON the War (Hitler was probably KILLED?) & we have (probably) a better WORLD than might have been, that having been said WE ARE STILL KILLING OURSELVES (I bet ya we must be the ONLY ONE's in this GALAXY that do this!!!! WE ARE CRAZY! well some of us humans are, it's no wonder they're watching us, they're probably thinking WHAT THE HELL are they're planning to do next? this crazy lot in power!) still, probably better than having the NAZI's in control you'd have thought?
But any country that perhaps? took it's own President down just to KEEP a SECRET & one might wonder are we really in a better place?

But hey GIANT SPIDERS!!! COOL!

Stories need to be better, LOVED the PILOT but I get the feeling these first couple of episodes after this are one's to find our feet with them.
One in which they finally discovered the TARDIS in a Cannonball Run type race, liked the one last week but some are saying it was too heavy handed....geezzz, they'll be some that didn't even know who Rosa Parks was & well NOW they & the kids do!
I still can't believe we DID THIS to a section of OUR PEOPLE (regardless of colour or whatever) but like I keep saying we are a CRAZY RACE, got great HOPE for us but Geezzz.

We should take E.T's famous words & carry them out all the time...

BE GOOD :)

Yeah I did BAD things when I was younger (nothing serious, we all have) but we learn (well most of us do) & we ASK what was achieved?
short term gain? the ACTIONS we take individually are IMPORTANT.

I say BE GOOD :lol: unless you NEED to get BAD :evil: but we'll save that for the BAD DUDES or the EVIL ALIENS (my guess? 99% of them are of the GOOD or indifferent TYPES & we would be UNLUCKY to Encounter a BAD intelligent species but who knows?)

EPISODE 5 looks like it takes us to OUTER SPACE once more....Hurrah.

It's GOOD but it's NOT Great (yet) and it has a LONG WAY to go to match my favourite time travelling series of recent years "TIMELESS" but if the stories come? it'll get there IN TIME ;) :dry: :whistle: oh come on you knew I was getting to that again!!!
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #3769 by Paul Conway
EPISODE 5 'The Tsuranga Conundrum'

We have to be HONEST right?

This was the first in the new series that did not work for me.

Story was very weak.
The Characters were a bit skittish & it will have those old time ;) Dr Who fans (including myself)
thinking i could have done better than that! storywise anyway.

A few FUN / GOOD things (i always try to look on the bright side of things if i can) so...

Whilst we saw only a glimpse of the TARDIS in the episode we did get a SPACECRAFT, DEBRIS Field &
finally a SPACE STATION but the highlight of the episode even though at first it was a bit JOKEY looking
was the little ALIEN creature (eating through the ship) :)

The thing i disliked most about this episode?
Well, there's a guy who's movies i LOVE, movies like Terminator, T2, T3, True Lies, Total Recall,
The Running Man, Predator, Commando & The Last Action Hero (under-rated one that) & even Twins (in which
he tried his hand at comedy, that worked) this guy is Arnold Schwarzenegger.
But later he tried his hand again at comedy as a male that became pregnant & here we had a similar character.

And before anyone says it ;)
Well i'd be SHOCKED if anyone ever did reply here ever again, i have a better chance of getting that trip to PLUTO.
Yes i know there are some creatures here on EARTH that are or can be male & become pregnant but still this seemed
like POLITICAL CORRECTNESS Overboard.

Not much to recommend about this Episode, rather BLAH if being HONEST.

After a VERY GOOD Pilot episode & a GOOD 2nd & 3rd episodes i've been disappointed with these last two.

We've not really seen anything DIFFERENT, new or EXCITING really so far in this new series.
Yup we got a NEW DOCTOR, NEW Tardis redecoration, new Titles & synth title music track as well as NEW companions.
ALL GOOD this but you really need GOOD challenging, scary or exciting STORIES & so far we're drawing a blank.

Still hopeful but if we have too many more of these types of stories we may have folks tuning out after a GOOD START & that I don't want, I want this new Doctor Who to become one of the BEST in the series of Doctor's...If you get the right cast / characters your about half way there BUT you must bring us GOOD new STORIES (which is why I was OK with them not bringing back ANY of the Doctor's old foes) but if this standard continues I might wish we did have the DALEKS back.

This was LIGHTWEIGHT & have seen similar episodes in other SF series & they were weak too...MUST DO BETTER.

NEXT WEEK...
Episode 6.
A 1947 PAKISTAN Time Travel Episode (fingers crossed it gets back on track?)
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 months 1 week ago #3791 by Paul Conway
Episode 6 "DEMONS of the PUNJAB"

HAPPY to REPORT this was a BRILLIANT Episode (I was beginning to worry a little)

Yes it steals from a few other Science Fiction series episodes (in fact this was VERY MUCH like a 'Timeless' in another country type episode with a nice nod to the "City on the Edge of Forever" episode concerning EIDTH KEELER's character)

Well written, lovely to look at, interesting, informative (PARTICAN in PAKISTAN I know only a little about but damn although this episode clearly has time travel / SF elements it brought it home what things were like BACK THEN)

All the regular WHO cast were BACK on FORM (especially JODIE) but also BRADLEY (who's wise words & emotion are most welcome), Mandip Gill gets her first real starring episode taking centre stage & she's DELIGHTFUL here.
Not much for Mr Tosin Cole to do in this episode but his TIME :whistle: will come, the other cast members here for this episode are EXCELLENT (especially the GRANDMOTHER young & old)

The ALIENS are COOL & not what you at first thing...TITLE of this episode is called what? and they're what? :)

This episode looks beautiful, it's well acted with a nice script...I ENJOYED it VERY MUCH.

But anyone that has seen that STAR TREK episode I mentioned will know it gets pretty EMOTIONAL, Bradley's character (got to try & remember these character names) here has a good anchoring role, he's the EMOTIONAL CORE here & in a few the episodes gone by.

There is a line in this which i found interesting & even somewhat amusing) especially after all the times i have gone on about WHY NASA, the ESA, the Governments of the World OR more likely those that have been SECRETLY in CHARGE of this PLANET for CENTURIES have been keeping things quiet (COVERED UP)

Jodie's DOCTOR just about half way through this episode after DISCOVERY some INFORMATION that is crucial (think EDITH KEELER) says...

"WE CAN'T TELL THEM WHAT WE KNOW"

In this episode it's for a clearly obvious reason...

They have gone TIME TRAVELLING BACK to EARTH's PAST & things must stay as they were.

But MAYBE (just maybe) those in CHARGE have a VERY GOOD REASON for keeping THESE THINGS SECRET & HIDDEN for GOOD REASON?

I'm open to the possibility but in all seriousness I DON'T THINK SO.

As we see here back 1947, PAKISTAN, Human Nature has always been (& probably will be for a good time yet) NOT as many would like it to be, EVIL almost & certainly concerned with GREED & POWER, this episode may have some saying they're laying on this theme of WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGEATHER but i think they're right.

WE HAVE STILL NOT LEARNED from HISTORY & CONTINUE to DO these EVIL DEEDS over again which is CRAZY.

DO those that KNOW the REAL SECRETS of PLANET EARTH have a good reason for not letting us know about OTHER SPECIES out there? and what could those reasons be? or with regards to these STRUCTURES on these various PLANETS & MOONS up there which unless i am seriously mistaken? do exist within our own SOLAR SYSTEM...why would this be kept secret?

Just Questions me & my family (along with many others out here CURIOUS) would like ANSWERED, surely such silly nonsense can't go on forever & if they KILLED JFK just because they didn't want to co-operate with RUSSIA and/or have the SECRET out that such things as ALIENS have been visiting us (and have probably even CRASHED here, funnily enough at the same time this episode took place in 1947 at ROSWELL) what's so important that THEY TOO MUST KEEP THIS SECRET?

The ENDING to this EPISODE was 'Heart Breaking'

This was an episode very much needed after two weak recent entries...FIRMLY BACK ON TRACK with this one, my favourite so far!