DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT (Sunday 7th OCT 2028)

• Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #3740 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway created the topic: DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT (Sunday 7th OCT 2028)
Did ya spot the deliberate mistake ;)
Well it's a TIME TRAVEL series after all.
A New Doctor, so will she fit the role well? or will there be some concerns? TOO Northern?

There are some good vibes going around after previews of this 1st episode a week or two ago.

1) It's ALL CHANGE...and by that I don't just mean a NEW DOCTOR (and a female one at that) but a whole new GROUP of COMPANIONS will show up making it something of an ensemble TEAM (Think Time Travelling, Alien World visiting BUFFY the VAMPIRE SLAYER perhaps?)

2) NETFLIX
A Huge company now, that even makes their own programmes (still haven't seen Star Trek DISCOVERY yet, apart from the FREE 1st episode which showed promise & would love to see their new 'LOST in SPACE' series) & it's said they have asked the BBC to up the ante & make these sets & episodes LOOK BETTER (did NETFLIX even add to the budget to do so?) Dr WHO is BIG in AMERICA too & around the WORLD (the AUSSIES love it too) so maybe it will be the BEST LOOKING DR WHO SERIES EVER???

3) Dr Who has a CONNECTION with PEOPLE of the EARTH.
But in the older episodes it was pretty much 50/50 time spent on EARTH & time spent in SPACE or on OTHER ALIEN PLANETS (even though during the 1960's, 70's & 80's the BUDGETS were SHOESTRING)
So let's hope we have that 50% on EARTH, 50% OUT THERE Stories & let's HOPE these stories are OUT THERE, INVENTIVE & GOOD.

4) BRADLEY WALSH
Anyone that has seen his game shows over the years will know he's FUN FELLA & seems GENUINELY NICE (always helps) but he can ALSO ACT.
Signing Bradley was a Huge Coup & Surprise, my sister had become tired of DOCTOR WHO but as soon as she knew a Woman had taken over & Bradley was about to become one of the new companions SHE WAS ONBOARD...I hope it's good enough for her to stay onboard.

5) THE TARDIS (you know what that's short for now? don't you?)
Well, did you see the Teaser Trailer? it looks like they are about to change the TARDIS inside again as they usually do when a new Doctor takes over, I sometimes feel it's a bit dark & gloomy looking but with Jodie & her sure to be ICONIC 'Rainbow' T Shirt perhaps it will look much LIGHTER & FUN inside this time? although I liked the old style too.
It sounds like they are making SWEEPING CHANGES to this Series & one's I hope will work & will bring about a Regeneration (sorry) of viewers to the show BUT SURELY they won't tweak the ICONIC 'Blue' TELEPHONE BOX?
Even the makers of Bill & Ted's EXCELLENT Adventure & sequel BONUS Journey (BTW can you believe a 3rd is in the works!!! :P I know right! that's crazy bless those fellas for returning to these teenage roles...they'll probably treat the characters the same, goofy older teenagers, sounds like me! :lol: ) yup I think the BIG BLUE BOX is SAFE but EVERYTHING ELSE including the Doctor Who LOGO (I like it) & TITLES will be DIFFERENT & with a BIGGER BUDGET....

This is PROMISING and...

6) So encouraged perhaps are the BBC by what they have seen? OR they want a slot that isn't quiet as competitive they have given it a nice day & slot...
SUNDAY 6.45pm to 7.30pm

GET READY for ADVENTURE & DISCOVERY...cue the Dr WHO THEME TUNE
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #3741 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT (Sunday 7th OCT 2028)
A slight side note...

As we are dealing with a woman taking over the role (no qualms from me, it is perfectly possible to do this & I am a little surprised they did not do it sooner OR even do a brief OH it's a WOMAN regenerating before perhaps making it another guy)
Rumours some 10 or so years ago that the delightful JOANNA LUMLEY might have become the first female doctor & older one at that but it never came about...it would have been a FUN & INTERESTING watch had they got the PURDY (New Avengers) JOANNA in during the early 1980's.

So yeah she is now a FEMALE alien that can change bodies through REGENERATION & become so...nothing wrong with that.

HOWEVER...

There has been TALK (by some) of a New 'FEMALE' JAMES BOND well...

THANKS the HEAVENS this NONSENSE has (I hope) been put to bed...

BARBARA BROCCOLI (superb producer of the Bond films btw who took charge after her father's death) has FINALLY commented on this rumour...

JAMES BOND WILL (probably) NEVER BE PLAYED by a FEMALE ACTRESS.

I have no idea why the probably as it's not a definitive statement by adding this but let's just say she's given those people out there that want to change everything gender neutral a slight chance we might see it...I'd have left the PROBABLY out of it.

She went on to say (rightly) that "BOND is MALE CHARACTER" he was written that way & he'll probably stay as a male (there's that probably again ARGHHH)
Goes on to say "And that's fine, we don't have to turn male characters into women"

Massive James Bond fan & there is just NO WAY James Bond could EVER become a woman (and there is no one on this planet that LOVES women as much as I, they are for the most part the most caring, considerate, thoughtful & BRAVER gender (again for the most part...there are always exceptions))

So if you want a female JAMES BOND made by the same company perhaps? (EON / MGM or is it SONY now? after that legal battle I lost track, just glad BOND is back) then fair do's...

Just don't call it JAMES BOND, in fact forget that name calling a character JANE BOND as suggested by some is just silly.

Make a large budget FEMALE AGENT series...do we need another AGENT FILM? well if you want a female in the role? why not?

Angelina Jolie was GREAT in 'SALT' & 'WANTED' so it can be done...JUST LEAVE THE CHARACTER of JAMES BOND alone for we fellas & gals to enjoy as is, after all I don't want or see a need for a MALE Mary Poppins or Miss Marple.

THE WORLD at times seems to be changing things for the sake of it & DON'T change those things of IMPORTANCE that need changing like...
Having good intelligent, kind politicians OR releasing those BIG SECRETS (which are for real & EXIST) eliminating MOST plastic from the World (especially FOOD packaging!!!! I recently collected together a group of this stuff that we had used & it's crazy, it's in the recycle bin but how much really gets recycled??? judging by that BBC Doc not much!)

GENDER NEUTRAL Toilets!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!

Are you (BLANKING) Kidding Me!!!!

Your asking for TROUBLE!

MALE & FEMALE are GLOURIOUSLY different & surely having us all using the same bathrooms is another CRAZY CHOICE?

We really need to sort out our priorities before we start wondering if a HB2 pencil is better than a HB3 for getting that curve on the piece of paper (just draw ya damned curve!!! SORRY :P )

GO DOCTOR
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #3742 by Paul Conway
So what did I think of the NEW Dr Who?

I didn't like it!!!

I LOVED IT :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Sorry, those reading this in Britain will get that (Simon Cowell line from X Factor...BORING!!!)

JODIE WHITTACKER gets a BIG TICK already.

Just want to mention PETER CAPALDI before going on about this 1st Jodie episode.
Many didn't like or take to Peter's DOCTOR & I can understand that, they gave an older doctor a chance again (in the same vein as the brilliant Jon Pertwee) he was a dour Scottish doctor & it did take awhile to warm to him after the quiet brilliant MATT SMITH but by the mid-way point of his Doctor he was truly hitting his stride & I for one ENJOYED him as the Doctor very much but for younger folks & people like my sister sadly he was something of an old fashioned doctor (but THAT's what I liked about him) HE DID GOOD.

JODIE? I think she just might be GREAT?
Will she rival my 2 favourite doctors the quiet incredibly MATT SMITH? or TOM BAKER? & his JELLY BABIES, well you know what I think she might!

This was a brilliantly handled intro (origins) episode with JODIE right at the heart of the action from the off.
That TRAIN SEQUENCE was superb & with a nice off the cuff (quick) remark of her change of gender.

I couldn't help but SMILE (time for a smiley emoji me thnks) :) when this group of characters were in the car talking & she talked about all those things & aliens out there! many of our kind (Humans) are going to be SHOCKED when they fully understand just WHAT is out there!
Bradley's older GRANDAD character responds with "ALIENS!!!!" :lol: I think i'll keep that quiet when chatting with the fellas back at the depot.

An ALIEN ABDUCTION Scenario was included here (you know for a long time I didn't believe in such things, seriously, me a guy curious about ALIENS, UFO's, INTERDIMENSIONS & well you name it really didn't think some of our kind were being abducted...BUT I DO NOW & for GOOD REASON ;) is it for a good? or bad reason? well it would depend but I sure wouldn't want to experience anything quiet like what you see in some of these horror alien movies but if it was for a GOOD REASON & one that didn't HARM US (as in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of THE THIRD KIND) then I think a lot of us would be willing to even help? if we are not subjected to any pain) in this episode it was clear that this PREDATOR type alien was of the BAD SORT.
Even 'IMPLANTS' got a place in this Who episode...cleverly managed by our JODIE's Doctor at the end.

Other highlights...
JODIE making a SONIC SCREWDRIVER 'A-Team Style' out of bits & bobs including good old SHEFFIELD STEEL...Nice one! very amusing & as she proclaimed "It does much more than just this too"

Had to smile (a little) when the evil had developed help by way of a group of information gathering cables which formed...a powered SPHERE :)
Some of us shall probably be seeing more of these (FOR REAL) for a good few more years yet (My sister & I have already seen one)

The VILLIAN looked COOL, especially in his suit but when revealed, well let's just say any DENTIST would have a busy time with him :lol:

Now this may have been NOTHING or might have been an insider BBC joke? but whilst trying to find out information on the lad who's sister had been abducted by this race they discovered some clippings in a file including one which mentioned 'SOLAR STORMS passes the UK without incident' well after all that's happened recently with regards to OUR SUN and what some folks may have found & discovered about something to do with it or something close to it, well there has been a NASA mission to head there, a British one is in the process of heading there, an observatory in America was closed down (along with the town...made to look as if it was nothing to do with the observatory) other online observatories of the SUN were shut down, images & video showed up showing what appeared to be STRANGE, LARGE LOOKING shapes close to the SUN, one even managed to look like the MOON & headed around us (EARTH) between us, this sat & the SUN but came back the other way only hours later (NICE TRICK) NASA DATA with sections apparently missing (GAPS for some reason?) THE SKY AT NIGHT showed an episode with something? in the background (well that thing looked like a BIG SOMETHING? Portal, Dyson Sphere (collecting energy) Huge SPACE STATION? you'll never know because THEY are not telling.
So yeah to see that little cutting did make me SMILE as there is every chance we might have been saved from a HUGE SOLAR STORM by you know who? not saying they did but things seem to point in a direction close to this...but no need to CONCERN the GENERAL PUBLIC about such matters right?

I was NOT expecting THAT Death & Bradley's emotional & heartfelt speech (told ya he was a GOOD ACTOR)

Jodie's new get up is already ICONIC....That RAINBOW T-Shirt says this is FOR EVERYONE!!! watch these SELL OUT in shops.

This was a gritty, dark but atmospheric & FUN origins (New Doctor) episode & I ALREADY like EVERYONE in it!

No New TITLES Yet or DOCTOR Who Theme...such a TEASE (LOVE IT) surely they will show up next week, hope so.
And what of the TARDIS? Nowhere to be seen & so we haven't seen the inside either, so will it be the same Blue Box? or will it have changed? and if so why? and to what? what about the inside?
I'm guessing they KEEP the ICONIC Blue Box but CHANGE the inside? music Title sequence might have been tweaked a little too?

Of course the REAL BIG & INTERESTING STORIES are yet to be told & judging by what I saw we should be getting many years of JODIE Doctor stories.

I was very PLEASED & ENJOYED it & I am guessing many of you folks out there did so too?

WELCOME BACK Doctor....AND....We are ALREADY in SPACE...How will they GET OUT OF THIS ONE? welcome back to the Dr Who cliff hanger (in the truest sense)
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #3746 by Paul Conway
LM1 Forums have been down recently (was it something I said? or posted? damn APOLLO knowledge) funny that the MARS ROVER has developed a FAULT & so too HUBBLE ;) they'll be a TIME :whistle: when THEY will be unable to take everything OFF LINE (or perhaps these really were genuine failures? Arghh hard to tell these days, it's like when you used to watch the LIVE SPACE FEED & something came onto the Screen which LOOKED like? well you know & just as it was getting CLOSER, hmm BLUE SCREEN, thanks for that NASA, just happened to be a FAULT at this time ;) ) so I couldn't write up about Episode 2.

FUN EPISODE again.

We FINALLY after a week's TEASE got the new re-worked DR WHO THEME & the TITLE SEQUENCE...Liked BOTH.

Cast is coming together nicely & we played out a CANNONBALL RUN like RACE on a Strange Planet upon which the TARDIS had landed (kinda)

So, is the TARDIS still the ICONIC Blue Box YESSSSSS, thank the heavens! but as predicted it's changed inside, NOT SURE about it, will need to see it a few more times, the glass? Tardis spinning around on the control panel was a bit CHEESEY? kinda liked it issued our new Doctor a CUSTARD CREAM BISCUIT after setting it off....a little nod to one of the BEST EVER DOCTOR's in MATT SMITH (looks like Jodie's going to be just as QUIRKY)
Story was OK, we'll hopefully see much better but as with the CAST of the INCREDIBLE 'TIMELESS' if you have a good one (cast) you can always ride rough shot over some episodes & still get ENJOYMENT out of them.

THIS WEEK's EPISODE (Ep 3)

Gives us a TIME TRAVEL episode in the true sense ROSA PARKS so this should be very INTERESTING.

If we have 1 EARTH Time Travel story & 1 OFF WORLD episode each time I'd be HAPPY with that!

Interesting is the FACT we shall NOT be seeing any of the old Doctor's Foes this season...a BRAVE & GOOD choice I think.
So NO DALEKS and/or DAVROS, no CYBERMAN (bit tired of them right now but NEVER the DALEKS) and No MASTER and others...but in TIME ;) they'll show up battling against our NEW DOCTOR.

THE REALLY GOOD NEWS is....That 1st EPISODE attracted the BIGGEST EVER Doctor Who viewers (in the UK) since that Northern Bloke took over in the modern era (and Jodie's a lot better I think, already) something like 8 million viewers!!! AWESOME!
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 3 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #3751 by Paul Conway
YEAH.

EPISODE 3

Most of the older adults probably know the story of ROSA PARKS & it ended up being an IMPORTANT point in HISTORY.
A serious moment in time...
Can you still believe we (HUMANS) thought this about others who had a different SKIN COLOUR (and you WONDER why we are not MIXING IT with ALIEN SPECIES up there!!!)
My sister's right...WE CAN'T GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER, what would happen if some of us Encountered those UP THERE (well if the USA Military some might FIRE FIRST, wouldn't surprise me!)
SUPER EPISODE & one many kids will be learning about for the 1st time & didn't they DO IT WELL?

It's a super group of characters we have here...I even learned something new, I had no idea ROSA PARKS had an ASTEROID named after her (GOOD ON 'EM...NASA, seriously I still don't mind praising them from time to time despite the SECRETS they KEEP)

Now how about getting the naming rights to at least 1 of those STRUCTURES upon PLUTO Nasa?

I'd like you to name the SCULPTURE which LOOKS very much like a EGYPTIAN Type here on EARTH showing a FACE of someone HUMAN (ish) looking, could be wrong? but it seems to be standing up from off PLUTO's surface and seems to have facial features almost identical to ours, if not a SCULPTURE of this kind? and it may just be the angle THEN it is STILL a STRUCTURE of some kind that is most certainly NOT of natural means...but judged on a CLOSE UP I have...THAT's A STRANGE SCULPTURE of SOME ONE?

I can't wait for NASA to launch the next mission & LAND right next to it & let us know it really exists ;) if they don't doctor this too.
If they do...please name it after A GOOD, FAIR, HARD WORKING, HARD LIFE Man...my father Paul Conway (yeah some chance right? but hey like I said previously anything is possible right? so maybe NASA might surprise me and agree to such a request)

Good to find out about ROSA's Asteroid though & don't FORGET BLACK WOMEN formed a VERY IMPORTANT PART of getting MAN to the MOON, the new film LOOKS like it going to be AMAZING 'First Man' but in the background back at Mission Control it was WOMEN of COLOUR that MADE IT HAPPEN...Don't tell me women or women of colour are not the equal of white women or MEN...we're in it together & this DR WHO EPISODE was hopefully relaying that to the kids.

Not as good as the 1st episode (8 out of 10) but it's the next best (so far) gets a 7 from me just ahead of Ep2 in which it really was a continuation of the pilot episode giving us the titles/music & a galactic race & in so doing finding the TARDIS (changed inside & after seeing it briefly tonight I think i'm likely it?)

NEXT WEEK...

STRANGE SPIDERS in the UK.

Info with regards to the ROSA PARKS ASTEROID

www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4554
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Paul Conway.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 months 1 day ago #3754 by Paul Conway
Oh & I did like the BANKSEY reference in this 3rd episode...BRING on the SPIDERS...Always will remember the TOM BAKER one with an old manor house with something deep beneath it & they were HUGE!