• Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #4 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa created the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
Here are a few hints for new members of the forum that will hopefully prove helpful. Remember that the forum is for everyone - there's no requirement to be a member of the Lunar Mission Club.

Changing Your "username"

Log into the Luna Mission One web site by scrolling to the top of any page. You'll see a "Log in" button or your username at the top. Click the down arrow, then "My Profile" to change your username. If you are new to the site you will need to "Register" which is free. Note that there are two fields: your "Name" which remains private and is used behind the scenes, and your "username" which is your online identity at Lunar Mission One (the name that will be displayed in your public profile on the left of posts).

Updating Your Forum Avatar Image

Click your username (you will need to be logged in), then the "Edit" link which is on the right of "Profile for yourusername". Click the "Avatar Image" tab, then select a .jpg or .gif as your Avatar. The standard size of the avatar image file is 90x90 pixels. If you create one at that size you'll know exactly how it will look. If you have a larger image with different dimensions the system will automatically scale it to fit so that the width is 90 pixels.

Problems With Login

Click the link "Forgot your username?" under the Log in section towards the top left of forum pages. This will throw up a fresh page where you can enter your LM1 registered email address (make certain this is the same email address associated with your LM1 forum invitation). Once you click the "submit" button a message will be sent to your registered email address. You're half way there as the system has confirmed your username... Now re-visit the login area and this time click the link "Forgot your password?", enter your registered email address, submit, then wait for an email with a verification code. Enter that into the text field, and you should then be able to log in with your username and your newly defined password.

Privacy and the Lunar Mission Forum (thanks to Stavy for this point which is mentioned here because of it's importance)

This is a public forum and everything posted here is seen by anyone who has access to the Internet. Only members of this forum can post, but everyone can see. Please do not post sensitive or private information like your own (or and anyone else's) telephone number/s, postal address, emails, or any other personal information that you are not completely happy for search engines to index, and for anyone to potentially view.

Uploading Images (thanks to Stavy)

Members of this forum may add the following file types to their posts: jpg, jpeg, gif, png, text, rtf, pdf, zip, tar, gz, tgz, tar, bz2.

Here is a step guide to add a file:

1. When you create or edit a post click the button named "Add File" next to the "Attachments" field.

2. Browse to the file you want to upload. I keep any files I wish to upload for a particular forum or site in a named folder on my computer/device so I can easily see what I've uploaded in the past with a single glance.

3. The file name will appear in the Attachments text field along with three buttons: Add File, Remove File, Insert.

"Add File" will add a link to the file at the bottom of your post (you'll find an example of this at the base of this post).
"Remove File" will remove your file from the attachments field.
"Insert File" will insert the file at the cursor point in your post like this:

4. Repeat the steps for any other images you want to add to your post.

5. Click on 'Remove File' to take out any you do not want to upload.

6. Once you are happy with your choice of file/s, click the "Submit" button below the "Subscribe" check box.

Beware of Removing All Your Images From a Post!

While creating or editing a post you might insert more than one image. If you do so, DO NOT remove all your images as you edit (you might think, your post is better without them, or you might have improved or refined a couple of images as you prepare the post). If you remove every inserted image from your post during the edit stage your work may disappear, and you will be returned to the parent post page having lost everything you've worked on!

Hint: prepare a long or complex post with images in a word processor or email client so you have a local copy, just in case the forum system misbehaves - that way at least you won't be starting all over which is something I had to do...

Improving These Hints

As this site grows these hints will be amended. If you have other hints that make life easier for new members, please reply to this post and they will be added here. When these hints are updated, members will be notified through a post update.

Mike
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveC, Kerry, chris perkins, Doug, Stavy, Boosterspice
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #5 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
Thank you Mike, for these very useful tips. Great emotions here also (and an edit button for all my typos!) ;)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Abi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
More
3 years 8 months ago #7 by RobGT81
RobGT81 replied the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
Thanks, Mike! Exciting times.

Hi to all the new members :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
More
3 years 8 months ago #10 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
.gif files are accepted, but there are size limits.

Remember that this is a public forum. do NOT post your telephone numbers, exact address or any other personal information on this site.

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Europa
More
3 years 8 months ago #38 by SteveC
SteveC replied the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
Perhaps this thread can be stickied so it remains at the top of the forum for easy access?

I will do SCIENCE to it.
More
3 years 8 months ago #40 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Hints for New Forum Members
Excellent idea! Done :)

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]