Ideas for the Public Archive

• Mike de Sousa
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #827 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hi Doug, absolutely! My personal view is that the Public Archive is of critical importance to the project, and you make a very important point in asserting the ideas the community contributes here on the forum about the archive should develop in partnership with the LM1 Labs. The Public Archive will become our evolving and collective memory.

Without memory we are lost. Those most treasured qualities of our self are held and expressed through memory. Memory is the tool that allows us to connect with one another. Words, objects, art and music act as catalysts for memory, they fire our lost or long forgotten thoughts and experiences, and they create new ideas for us to ponder and maintain. The Lunar Mission One Public Archive will become the identity of the project. How it is created, what principles are adopted, and how it evolves will, at least to my mind, be crucial to the project's success and legacy.

To take the metaphor further, if the Public Archive is welcoming, engaging and generous, people will flock to it as they recognize a part of us all is expressed within it. Everything we are, those things we cherish or are fearful of, our great accomplishments, and our terrible mistakes. These together with an expression and description of the earth will ensure our species at this time is remembered. Doug, you have it right: memory is all we have.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #839 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Just from reading your post Mike you get an understanding of just how large an undertaking this will be.
Some curious questions are posed...such as censorship and who if any will be the censors? I'd like to think
people will post sensibly and there will be no need for such a thing but that's probably me just being naïve again :-)

I do agree that this could eventually be formed into something bigger than even Lunar Missions first envisaged.

If only we could grab the whole history of our Planet and place it within the Moon for safe keeping and yes I've had a
rethink on religion (and perhaps upon further reflection it should be included for better or worse...although i'm
not happy about the part it has played for the most part on our planet but maybe we could learn from it)
More
3 years 8 months ago #843 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
I agree Paul. It would certainly be important to be inclusive when it comes to the past (as in warts and all) within the public archive. To do otherwise would not be portraying a true picture. Heaven knows humankind has done (and continues to do) much wrong but that's as much a fundamental part of what we are as is the good.

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #872 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hi Doug, yes I think I was initially wrong about not agreeing to have 'Religion' included.
It may well be future generations could learn from this?

It's good to try and imagine if and how this Human Ark of Information will be discovered and used in the future.

I've spoken of Day Trips (similar to any one of us just popping down to a coastal resort or a vist to a museum) to
the Moon where school parties are received beneath a Dome that has been erected around LM-1 which is showing
these recovered Data Chips on it's screens...they may indeed even be able to use individual I-pad like devices upon
which they are each able to bring up anything from these chips they want to see.

I even think they're may be some long lost information on these chips that might be useful to those in the future one day.

BTW If anyone is reading this from the future and you've invented time travel...come give me a vist, there's tea and biscuits
waiting for ya, we're a friendly family and would hope you could take us for a vist to the LM-1 Moon Museum :-)
Just Saying...Nothing's Impossible :P
More
3 years 7 months ago #959 by chris perkins
chris perkins replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hi Folks. I for sure agree that the record should be complete, good and bad. I was also wondering on the possibility of the digitization of DNA records of every species on earth and including this in the records. I know that some people will be providing strands of hair, but can the digital record of DNA sequences not also be included? I also wonder if their are any risks in providing such a rich record of Mankind?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug
  • Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 7 months ago #960 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
That's a great idea Chris, not sure that all species have been sequenced but would be nice for the ones that have been.

My other signature is much better than this one!