12th International Planetary Probe Workshop

• Darryl James Cooper
  • Darryl James Cooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
More
3 years 7 months ago #1133 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
Today I gave a short presentation on Lunar Mission One and has my poster viewed and i took questions from NASA and NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory scientists and engineers, very nerve-wracking!! But it generated a lot one interested, with people shaking my hand and telling LM1 to keep up the good work as well as some University of Glasgow PhD students who are working in drill technology. I have another presentation on Wednesday.

Paul, So far I have a cool laptop bag and pen and i have the Rosetta episode on DVD as i am a subscriber to the magazine.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa, Doug
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago #1138 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
Darryl, I had no idea you'd be in front of these NASA folks, my hat off to you sir, that takes some courage and bottle I must say.
I am very impressed...your one cool dude B)

Laptop Bag & Pen are cool...Just wondering if any of them have the Rosetta Mission branding?

Good luck on Wednesday
  • Darryl James Cooper
  • Darryl James Cooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1156 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
Hey everyone, I have written a blog about my time at the workshop and hopefully it will be put up on the website soon. I had an amazing week, I had a tour of DLR (German Aerospace Centre), the Rosetta Control Centre where we had a talk about Philae and saw 1:1 scale model of Philae, I had a tour around ESA's European Astronaut Centre where all the astronauts have there training and i got to walk around a full scale training mock up of the ESA part of the International Space Station. We had a talk from the Rosetta mission leaders about Philae's wake up and it was just in general amazing, plus I got an ESA pen and ESA mousemat.

The presentation was pretty intense, i was answering questions on Lunar Mission One from people who had worked on the Space Shuttle and Apollo programs!! But everyone seemed to love the concept of the mission.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Darryl James Cooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1157 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
That sounds like the trip of a lifetime Darryl, plus some great promotional work for LM1. Good for you!

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Doug.
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 7 months ago #1158 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
Hi Darryl, what a fabulous experience, and thank you for being such a great representative of Lunar Mission One! It's so good to hear you received an enthusiastic reception from the experts there at the Rosetta Control Centre. I look forward to seeing the link to your blog.

It would be valuable to hear what Lunar Mission One could learn from your time. You've mentioned the model, training mock-up, tour and merchandize. What was the single experience you wouldn't have missed and why?
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago #1159 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop
I'm guessing all of it Mike.
Way to go Darryl...that just sounds like one of the trips of a lifetime...something you'll hopefully remember forever.
Thanks for helping spread the word and to such distinguished company...Impressive.

Were you there when they got the news from the Goldstone Antenna in California? as Philae has again reported back.
One of the BEST Missions ever this...and it's still on going.

Four Hotspots were also discovered recently on Venus possibly proving the existence of active volcanoes.

Sadly, I've also read some disturbing news also...'The Earth has entered a new Extinction Phase'
so a study by three USA universities has concluded and HUMANS could be the first casualties.
I have no idea how they came to this conclusion and let's hope it's wrong but if true it's alarming and we
need to get our ship up there ASAP.
The report was led by Stanford, Princeton and Berkeley (all big hitters you'll notice) and they have said that
vertebrates were disappearing at a rate of 114 times faster than normal!!! that's extraordinary & scary.
One of the authors said "We are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event"
we know from history this happens from time to time but to be happening now has me somewhat worried.
Surely we can't have evolved to this point to fail now!