How will the archive be found?

More
3 years 7 months ago #997 by chris perkins
chris perkins replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
Hi David
Indeed you are right, there is always such a risk with Mankind, just look at the destruction in Iraq & Syria at the moment . However, I like to believe that by ensuring that it is clear to everyone what and where LM1 is and what it contains, coupled with the public archive being accessible from Earth that Mankind will do the right thing.
I think the biggest risk right now is failure to spread the word to develop the next slot of funding.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1111 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
Hi David, I would have no problem with it being dug up in say 200 years just so long as these data chips were used and put to good use (if only to form part of say a museum, perhaps on the Moon itself as I've discussed previously) they could even make copies and return these originals to these bore holes but that's out of our hands...we just have to hope.

This was and is the first ever publically funded space mission...and many more i'm sure will follow it, so in some respects it's quiet a pivotal point for space missions and space exploration, I think mining will follow within the next 100 years and it would be nice if Lunar Missions had a break off division that did this (why not? someone else will do so, so why not use all this information from these missions and put it to good use?)

Chris, I agree with you over the funding, i've only just read on here about the funding (can't find it now) with LM's saying most will come from online sales, I trust in them and think they'll get good numbers but I honestly feel if they want to go 'BIG' and perhaps try to achieve a huge wave of funds in one swift block that they try to make an Advertising campaign around Christmas Time which will appeal to those not really interested in space.

Make it fun, make it nostalgic, make it heartfelt, tell people your taking them on a journey...one who's destination is the Moon, a part of you will rest on the Moon or What will you send to the moon?...birthday footage, holidays, marriages, your kid scoring his/her first goal...endless stuff.

I really do believe a huge chunk of funds could come in from a Tv marketing campaign (and that's just here in the U.K.) that in just a few Christmases time might just help fund a huge percentage of this first mission....online is fine but I'd like to appeal to the masses.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Paul Conway.
More
3 years 7 months ago #1115 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
The funding stage is crucial, I am trying to do my best by presenting a science poster presentation and a brief talk/Q@A about Lunar Mission One at the 12th International Planetary Probe Workshop in Germany this week.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #1116 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
Hi Darryl, thanks for your efforts!

I hope the Q and A is a great success and it would be great to hear on the forum how the event has gone when you get the chance. Enjoy your trip!
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 7 months ago #1121 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
Appreciate your efforts Darryl, I'm sure it'll be fun and go well.

As for funding, personally I still have slight doubts about LM's achieving the goal by just online sales, what do you guys think?

I would really like them to go 'BIG' this Christmas 2015 with a huge Tv marketing campaign to try and get a good percentage of that needed in and think they/we could do it...If it's tried early and the numbers are not what would be expected then they/we could focus more on the Twitter's etc

Like Mike...hope you call back with how it went Darryl...all the best with your presentation.
More
3 years 7 months ago #1135 by robe5662
robe5662 replied the topic: How will the archive be found?
Have suggested, if its possible to have a flat packed prism. As Prof Alan Smith saidat the event at the Ri "its all about mass" With that said a prism could be deployes after the drilling, This could then unfold, no internal power source will be required (i.e batteries) no external power source will be needed (i.e solar panels) it would simply be powered by the sun itself. How big and how far the cascade of colours would emit from the prism I have no ides. The thinking behind this is beacause as stated it could be millions of years time and the moon could be filled with craft of one kind or another so would would make LMO stand out above the rest? Intrested in thoughts on this