Ideas for the Public Archive

• Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #195 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
That cave is in France I believe Fawkes, they created it so that tourists can visit without damaging the original.

I wonder how we can ensure that the public archive will survive though. Thinking damage to the media by power surge or natural disaster etc etc

My other signature is much better than this one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawkes
More
3 years 8 months ago #250 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive

Martin P wrote: I wonder how we can ensure that the public archive will survive though. Thinking damage to the media by power surge or natural disaster etc etc

I think there will also be a section in Lunar Missions Labs for the Public Archive? 'Its survival' sounds like a topic that could be worked upon/discussed there. We might have plenty of ideas on this thread too to use or to redirect to. :)

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
  • Fawkes
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Also known as Lee
More
3 years 8 months ago #253 by Fawkes
Fawkes replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Yeah it's actually a big issue with no simple solution. for any machine to survive for hundreds or thousands of years without attention even on the moon is a big ask. Would be cool if there was some sort of self maintaining robot that kept it all in shape as well as it self but I doubt that will be plausible lol.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #430 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Fawkes, Those virtual tours or filming of famous landmarks is a good idea.
I'd perhaps leave out the religion aspects (understand the history reasons for this but let's
just put the 'Human Rights' bill up there)

If we include the tech on the lander (eg screens, ports to plug these data chips into to play all
these video's, pictures and information) then even if this tech is damaged humankind will be well
advanced enough to figure it out as it will be right there for them...curiosity for them would make them
figure it out.

The Data chips have been discussed on that other forum mentioned and i think it's safe to say that
Lunar Missions will make sure each and everyone of these data chips will be well protected from
outside forces such as radiation etc.

For us as a family, we'll probably just upload our fun holidays, trips out and fun days.

I'm still curious to know how much data we each will have to play with?
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #432 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Thanks for the ideas folks. Keep them coming!

One thing I'm conscious of is that the public archive has numerous advantages. It can serve as a repository of information to the benefit of humankind and our world which will be accessible here on earth by all. It can also serve as a repository of information of humankind and our world at a particular period in time (when it is deposited below the moon's surface), and hopefully will survive for such a purpose long after the LM1 mission is consigned to history.

In addition to possibly portraying us and our world to other species who discover the archive, it could serve to portray the past to future humankind as well. As suggested by others, we have a terrible propensity as a species to destroy things and our own past (a quick recent example being the near total destruction at Nimrud by ISIL). Perhaps this lunar archival deposit will be an invaluable source of information for this very reason and what is long gone, when it is discovered well into the future.

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Doug.
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #433 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hi Fawkes, re cave art... did you know that in July 2012 Francisco Giles Pacheco, who is the director of Spain's Archaeological Museum of Puerto Santa Maria, spotted a pattern of lines on rock inside Gorham's Cave, Gibraltar. These engraved lines, in the pattern of a #hashtag have been dated back to 40 000 years and are proof that Neanderthals intellectual abilities may actually be largely underestimated. For one of the lines to be produced, it took many careful strokes by a hard tool, which indicates a tenacious and persistent personality. Some undisturbed sediment dating back 39 000 years beside the 'rock art' was found to contain almost 300 signature Neanderthal style tools. Neanderthals became extinct around 39 000 years ago.
faculty.jsd.claremont.edu/dmcfarlane/UIS...Vidal-1411529111.pdf

Imagine in 40 000 years time, perhaps even 100 000 years from today, what the appearance of humans will be, how they will perceive our past...
www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2013/06/...ook-in-100000-years/
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Abi. Reason: typos!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin P