Ideas for the Public Archive

• Fawkes
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Also known as Lee
More
3 years 8 months ago #434 by Fawkes
Fawkes replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hmm I'm not sure about leaving out religion. Religion was an incredibly huge part of our history and though it's not so much now it may yet again in future. The search for faith and God could become literal when casual space travel becomes apparent. They will be studied for historic reasons in the same way today historians study ancient Egyptian religion and such.

To include the actual teachings of religions and beliefs would be beneficial both to historians and those would be studying perhaps evolved versions. I think if this is to be an archive of all assembled knowledge then I think nothing should be left out. It needs to be a true and accurate representation of all that is known (or as much as possible).

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stavy
More
3 years 8 months ago #435 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
I have to agree with you Lee. Religion is part of our history, and to leave it out ignores a part of what makes us what we are. So long as all religions are treated equally.

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawkes
More
3 years 8 months ago #436 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Yes I also agree with Lee and Stavy.
  • Fawkes
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Also known as Lee
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #437 by Fawkes
Fawkes replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
Hi Abi, yeah I didn't know about that. Nice find.

I've never really thought about what people would think of us that far ahead, I would hope that (if we are even still around) there would have been heavily documented and digitally stored archives like the one LM1 is building that will give them an accurate idea of our time. Even so 100000 years of heavily documented history is unimaginably long. Particularly if things to go very very wrong.

Such a massive record of history could exist but over that long a time you just don't know how many wars, how many natural events etc are going to happen that could result in the loss of it all or inability to add to it for priority reasons. I may be pessimistic but I suspect something may happen within that time maybe several times where ALL is lost for reasons of war or anything. And the earliest history they may have could only date back to when some apocalypse happened a few hundred or thousand years ago. Actually something like that could happen in the not too distant future. With us still being stuck on earth. Say a comet hit or nuclear war happened that destroys all in 100 years time then everything pre-war could be forgotten after a long recovery.

IMO it will take a lot for us to survive the next few-several centuries.

A bit doom and gloom but honestly that far ahead we can only speculate and my speculations are pretty grim. At best dark times with a light at the end of the tunnel... (I think a Blade Runner/Total Recall style Earth is more probable than a "Everything is perfect" type earth you see in the films)

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Fawkes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi
More
3 years 8 months ago #438 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive
I have every faith we will have 'flown the nest' in a few to several hundred years time, well the strongest, fittest and wealthiest for sure! The rest will have already inhabited the Moon and, having dug up all the archives in rebellion that they hadn't prepared themselves adequately for further flight, lol.
More
3 years 8 months ago #439 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Ideas for the Public Archive

Abi wrote: The rest will have already inhabited the Moon and, having dug up all the archives in rebellion that they hadn't prepared themselves adequately for further flight, lol.

Oh dear that is a sobering thought and possible of course.

Perhaps LM1 had better expand the mission/prepare another, and fire off more copies of the public archive into space (just to be safe). A bit like the Voyager missions of the 1970s and the Golden Records :)

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi