Excited about Pluto and Charon?

• David Rothery
  • David Rothery's Avatar Topic Author
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
3 years 6 months ago #1259 by David Rothery
David Rothery created the topic: Excited about Pluto and Charon?
The New Horizons home page is here pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/index.php Click on Multimedia to see latest images. Both Pluto and Charon are turning out to be marvelous places, with surprisingly young surfaces.
I have two articles about Pluto in The Conversation
This one a few days before flyby, about Pluto's status
theconversation.com/nasa-mission-brings-...l-not-a-planet-40495
and this one day after the flyby
theconversation.com/historic-close-ups-o...for-scientists-44615
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerry, Doug, Angela Lamont
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 6 months ago #1260 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: PLUTO...Oh WOW!
So it's all gone quiet here on LM1 Forums and no one's posted anything about the fantastic Pluto Mission.

Another FANTASTIC and successful Mission

I kind of liked this...
www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/views...to-through-the-years

And then the Wow! (Close up of Pluto's mountains)
www.nasa.gov/press-release/from-mountain...rizons-pluto-mission

Great news about Pluto...check out more at the NASA site above, some great photo's & information.
Pluto is bigger than we'd thought (Mickey would be proud)

In all the fuss 'Ceres' has somewhat been forgotten due to these recent various & wonderful Space Missions but here are some amazing photographs of Ceres and yet still no word on what these bright spots are? it's all gone a bit quiet.
In these wonderful pictures i would have to say they almost look electrical and very strange :-) probably not unfortunately but my do they look like a City light-up as if seen from high orbit....Don't you think?

www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbna...a19579_main-1041.jpg
www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbna...a19568_main-1041.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerry
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 6 months ago #1264 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Excited about Pluto and Charon?
Hi Professor, yes aren't those images just wonderful, what a fantastic mission.
Those close up shots of the mountains are amazing and we've found pluto to be larger than expected.

Sorry I posted a new subject forum on Pluto myself at around the same time as yours, so i missed it, otherwise I'd have posted them here.

As with the radio signal i posted mine with a WOW :-)

Perhaps they'll be more interest now in Pluto after this mission.

I'll kind of always secretly think of Pluto as the 9th Planet (but i know you disagree and your reasons given over on Kickstarter were logical and sound and we must move on but i do kind of miss the idea of not having this as our final planet in the system)

BTW is that Sir Terry Prachet in the photo with you? he battled that illness with dignity & courage.
  • Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 6 months ago #1266 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: PLUTO...Oh WOW!
Those bright spots on Ceres do look out of place. I wish we knew more.

My other signature is much better than this one!
More
3 years 6 months ago #1269 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: PLUTO...Oh WOW!
I've merged Paul's thread on Pluto into Prof Rothery's one, as they both deal with the same topic.

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
More
3 years 6 months ago #1271 by Fozia
Fozia replied the topic: Excited about Pluto and Charon?
If you visit my Twitter feed, you will see it aglow with all things Pluto. :) Here I've kept mostly quiet about it to keep the focus on the LM1 mission.

Absolutely its a wonderful achievement for humankind. We have actual close up views of every major planetary body in our solar system now. I'm thrilled to imagine what the future will bring for space exploration. I'm am beyond 100% certain that one day humankind will be easily exploring interstellar space. It looks impossible with the technology now; however if anything I've learned from studying humankind's amazing progress from simple hunter gatherers to a space faring species over the past 50,000 years is that anything is possible and do not underestimate humankind's ability to innovate and accomplish the impossible. Even just 150 years ago if someone had said it will be an everyday event for humans to fly to any part of the world, speak and see anyone instantly without being physically in the same location, they would have told you that you are dreaming magic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerry