Excited about Pluto and Charon?

• David Rothery
  • David Rothery's Avatar Topic Author
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1571 by David Rothery
David Rothery replied the topic: Excited about Pluto and Charon?
That pic is blocks of water ice crust. The water-ice has been disrupted into blocks that are now almost buried by weaker kinds of ice (nitrogen, carbon monoxide). The closer you go to the edge of Sputnik Planum in that part of Pluto, the more numerous the projecting blocks of water-ice; presumably the N2/CO ice is thicker towards the centre of Sputnik Planum.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by David Rothery. Reason: input window doesnt diplay text clearly enough to avoid mistakes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 3 months ago #1574 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Excited about Pluto and Charon?
Thank-You Professor...I have very limited knowledge of our Solar Systems Moons or Planets (I wish I'd have studied more about these back at school) but I do know I get excited every time we receive data such as this from various projects & missions (and we've had so many great one's lately)

I can only think that most (including yourself) back at mission control could hardly believe their eyes at what they were seeing on both Pluto & Charon, which to my eyes seemed to have been far more interesting than perhaps we could have imagined...and the detail!!! the detail is simply wonderful.

A Wikipedia link for you folks out there (below) this would seem to be a very interesting place to explore if ever possible in the future.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_Planum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi