Talk at the B.I.S June 22 2016

• daedalus
  • daedalus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
2 years 7 months ago #1730 by daedalus
daedalus created the topic: Talk at the B.I.S June 22 2016
If you are in or around London on the 22/06 there is a talk on at the B.I.S. H.Q. on the current status of LM1.Check the B.I.S. main web-site for details on ticketing availablity.

"WHITE HEAT OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Conway
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 years 7 months ago #1731 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Talk at the B.I.S June 22 2016
The THANK-YOU is simply for posting something new :ohmy:

It's a RARE thing :(

It's Half-Time in the Germany v Ukraine football game and I figured I would check in with LM1's Forums, something I am doing less and less these days and here be (albeit) a new short posting....CHEERS Daedalus.

For whoever attends this I do hope things are made clearer about LM1 and you get some good/interesting answers.

Maybe I am a little naïve? (I don't think so too much) but as a non profit organization I would be curious to know where the nearly
1 million dollars raised was used for, obviously this site was created and paid for (i hope they didn't spend too much on it, maybe it'll be worth it in future years when the numbers raise but don't hold you breath folks!)
And I know some merchandise was sanctioned and made and sold (ah, all the talk of this and that being made, just a fun pipe dream I fear now) and the merchandise that was made well one would assume it was made at low cost in China? I am guessing there was a mark up when sold on (they were priced reasonably I think) but with the low numbers sold? I would guess they struggled to make any real profit from these?
The people working for LM1...all volunteers?, mainly volunteers? some paid using the Kickstarter fund? is everyone working on this project working for free? I have no idea and I bet most of you don't either and perhaps you don't mind? I only ask because...

If not then surely a good amount of this money should still be there? somewhere?

Myself? I would have taken that 'Kickstarter Fund' at the end there when we were ALL joyful and because it was somewhat of a risky project anyway (we all knew that right?) we should have gone BIG and used the majority of this funding around Christmas time with as big a 'Nostalgic Newspapers Ad Bombardment' as we could have afforded, offering these DATA packages and perhaps with a few low cost (fun amateur made) Tv Ads on some of the lesser channels for good measure (I am sure i have read that some of these Tv ad slots could still be had for as low as £10,000 each...a weeks ad campaign with say 3 Ads per day = £210,000? maybe i'm way out these days especially around Christmas time?)

I'd have HIT it FAST & HARD focusing on the Nostalgia element of the Data Records & DNA sample (The Space purists might not have liked it but it might have had a better chance at funding it) it was still unlikely I know...ONLY we FEW truly love 'SPACE' and 'SPACE EXPLORATION' but that will change in time with good, fun, education and when we truly realise we must venture out there and not stay within our egg world...credit to LM1 for this! the education part has been good and something to be encouraged.

SUMMER is here & things are about to change folks! for the good? we shall see, some will be surprised :whistle:

LM1 was a risky venture...I would have risked HIGH early on...the Data Packages, had the Nostalgia effect and I think we could have sold in their tens of thousands (especially at Christmas Time...the PERFECT 'out-of-this world GIFT) I truly believe this...maybe i am a little naïve :) and whilst marketing it on the web is fine, it needed to reach a much bigger reach / audience than this and one that was NOT as obsessed with all things SPACE which we few are.

Ah well, let's just hope our pledges and funding are honoured and our packages find their way to the MOON...even if it is piggy backing on another project ;)
  • daedalus
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
2 years 7 months ago #1732 by daedalus
daedalus replied the topic: Talk at the B.I.S June 22 2016
I only posted the heads up because I could not see any notification on the main LM1 web-site (which I thought strange as the talk in London is being organised by them).I do not use any social media sites so may have been advised through them?.It looks like the general use of forums is in general decline, as people seem to rather "tweet" than discuss.Might not be good etiquette to use one forum to advertise another but I am trying desperatley trying to get the B.I.S forums as a go to source for space based discussions,maybe I will see some of you there.
I am going to the talk next week and will report back here all I can.

Les Shoulder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike de Sousa
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 years 7 months ago #1733 by Paul Conway
Good on ya Les.

At least it was some form of news concerning LM1.

Sadly I think your right with regards to new forms of media these days (tweeting and the like) perhaps people have less time these days? although the with the amount of short silly tweets thesedays perhaps they have more time if all of them were added up :P

I've always enjoyed a good discussion on various forums over the years and had expected and hoped for the like here (it started out well) with 7297 luminauts (that figure is mysteriously lower now than it was nearly 18 months ago!!! you'd have thought we'd be hitting 10,000 at least by now? although I would have hoped for a doubling of the numbers by now! so 15,000, it's no wonder things have gone quiet here) you would have thought there would be more posting's?

I hate to say it but things have gone rather hush hush

Sadly I think the one real chance we may have had to get this thing off the ground may have been lost? but i'll be truly happy to be proved wrong.

Whatever happens with this Brilliant Project I will always LOVE everything SPACE based and in my 40's I pray and hope I will somehow, someday get my dream to see this Earth from High Orbit one day.

I look forward to checking back here and reading your thoughts on this meeting.
Attachments:
  • daedalus
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
2 years 7 months ago #1734 by daedalus
daedalus replied the topic: Talk at the B.I.S June 22 2016
Regretfully I have been unwell this last few days and was unable to attend last nights meeting.I am trying to find out if the talk was video-taped and looking at the screen shots on the B.I.S. twitter feed it was a very interesting evening.I hope that someone from LM1 reads this a posts an update on the main sites news page.
Les

• Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #1735 by Paul Conway
Very sorry to hear this Les (I hope you are better now?)

I wouldn't hold your breath on any updates...here at least, might be a mention on the facebook page which now seems to be the main LM1 home now.

There should be news coming in the next few months but again i'm not even sure of this now :(

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Paul Conway.