Community Response to Challenges and the LM1 Labs

• Mike de Sousa
  • Mike de Sousa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #1651 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa created the topic: Community Response to Challenges and the LM1 Labs
Hi Lewis, thanks for an encouraging post:

lunarmissionone.com/forum/welcome-and-ho...allenges-and-lm-labs

Note that your topic is locked which acts as a brake on replies. I'm therefore responding here with the assumption this can be moved to the appropriate place in due course.

It's good to see the project is moving forward with specific challenges that are to be met in the LM1 Labs area.

I think the most effective motivators are the response and recognition officials from the LM1 team give. Here are some specific ideas:

The Kickstarter Wall of Thanks was an easily implemented and effective incentive in the early phase. You might consider publishing names on a new and growing area on the main LM1 site of those who assist at the Labs. This would not only acknowledge contributors, but would also encourage others to jump on board and show the community as integral to the project.

Cost is always a consideration, however it may be that yearly awards for different areas of the project are presented for outstanding contributions. These events could be virtual, or if affordable, take place at a venue. Those who are judged as having made valuable contributions could attend the event without charge (another kind of reward).

The community has thousands of members to call on, some of whom have creative skills like design, photography, art etc. I've no doubt, given content-use is clearly defined, some would be happy to create work that could be given as a special download for those who are especially helpful at the Labs. I for one would be happy to contribute art in this way. This might for example take the form of a high definition download together with an LM1 certificate. It is however very important that the work and certificate are created to a high standard rather than the somewhat disappointing efforts following the Kickstarter campaign.

On a related note and as I've already stated on this forum, transparency when dealing with contributors of content is very important. Unless LM1 set out a crystal clear contributor agreement at the outset I believe the take-up of such a scheme will be minimal at best. In my experience people do not want to enter into private negotiations over content use. See more of my views here:

lunarmissionone.com/forum/creative/108-l...butor-agreement.html

Turning to issues that need discussion and development, the archive could be the basis for specific challenge areas in addition to discussing the technological and practical obstacles of the project. As an example: what will be the principles of inclusion and exclusion of content on the Public Archive? You'll find additional challenges about the LM1 Archive here:

lunarmissionone.com/forum/suggestions/16...g-with-humanity#1639

Discussions about practical issues surrounding the archive would take in the possible technologies that could be used, its longevity, backup and the method in which the archive could be read in the future after current file types are no longer in use.

For others reading this post, perhaps you could also look through the forum for inspiration for additional specific challenges then add your ideas here.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Mike de Sousa.
More
1 year 6 months ago #2853 by ikann
ikann replied the topic: Community Response to Challenges and the LM1 Labs
Nice, thanks for posting that

Excorts London