EM Drive from NASA

• bigbangtrimm
  • bigbangtrimm's Avatar Topic Author
  • dif tor heh smusma
More
3 years 8 months ago #419 by bigbangtrimm
bigbangtrimm created the topic: EM Drive from NASA
So I know LM1 is primarily not associated with NASA, but one cannot deny that they are definitely partners seeking the same goals - to learn more about Space.

NASA created an EM Drive in a laboratory and while it's pending peer review, the hype around it now is suggesting that it could take humans to Mars in under 70 days. What would EM drive mean for traveling to the Moon. Would it possible to do it in a few hours, just like it would to go to London from New York? Mars is 140M miles away (225M KM) and the moon is 238,900 miles away (384,400KM) - given the basic math, wouldn't it theoretically be possible to travel to the Moon in ~2h 45m? You would have to make an assumption that the EM drive engine travels from the surface of the Earth, but even if it didn't, a trip to the Space Station is getting a lot easier now that we have Space X introducing commercialized space travel. From the SS you could essentially use a fraction of the fuel to travel to the moon.

< 3 hours away.... how awesome would that be - reality is, its probably going to happen in the next decade.

Michael A.
President & CEO at Trakify

"Live long and prosper" - Spock
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris perkins
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #422 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: EM Drive from NASA
Big Bang (love that show btw) that is very exciting news.
Your calculations make sense what's more it brings those other outer planets within easier reach of we
humans...gosh maybe I might make it to the MOON yet :-)
Thanks for this.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
  • Martin P
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #423 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: EM Drive from NASA
Takes me longer than that to get to work sometimes!

If the EM drive does what NASA hopes for maybe space tourism will happen sooner too. Weekend break to the moon anyone?

My other signature is much better than this one!
More
3 years 8 months ago #431 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: EM Drive from NASA
Very interesting. I had forgotten about electromagnetic propulsion and NASA, having read about it some time ago.

Some nice content and details here: www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluati...futuristic-em-drive/

Of course there is quite a bit of scepticism out there too: www.wired.com/2015/05/nasa-warp-drive-yeah-still-poppycock/

It does serve to remind us all that technology and discoveries are constantly evolving. Exciting times ahead :)

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass,
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead,
Has taken a new phase.
(The Cat and the Moon - William Butler Yeats)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi
  • Pete Blacker the 3rd
  • Passenger
  • Passenger
More
3 years 8 months ago #441 by Pete Blacker the 3rd
Pete Blacker the 3rd replied the topic: EM Drive from NASA
The EM Drive and similar low thrust propellantless drives, such as Mach effect thrusters, are a pretty tantalising carrot being dangled in front of us all at the moment. If they come to fruition then, the second space age can really begin in earnest!

At the current thrust levels EM Drives would be similar to existing ion drives for mission planning, without the gradual change in mass. Somewhat counter intuitively it would take longer to reach the moon with one of these than a conventional chemical rocket. Although it would be a much quicker way of getting to Mars. This is because the trip to the moon doesn't have a 9 month coast in the middle like the Mars transfer has. A constant acceleration/deceleration can reduce this significantly.

I'm expecting whoever launches LM1 will probably leave us on a trans-lunar injection orbit once we've paid the taxi fare. Our only job should be getting into a circular orbit when we get there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #485 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: EM Drive from NASA
The second space age...I really hope so, so many more missions and experimental craft now but hopefully it will all be
put to good use for us all to use on a daily/weekly basis.

I'm in Martin :-) a little trip in orbit around the Moon on LM-10 appearing from the darkside of the moon eating
breakfast to a beautiful Earthrise :-)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin P