Sci-FI

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #769 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Sci-FI
Blakes 7 undoubtably very dated now, but I loved Avon, much more depth to the charater than Blake. Another series I enjoyed was 'V'. Again though much preferred Michael Ironside's bad boy in the resistance to Marc Singer's heroic clean cut type..

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Stavy.
  • Martin P
  • Martin P's Avatar Topic Author
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #773 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Sci-FI
Completely forgot about V, brilliant series. The recent remake was good too.

My other signature is much better than this one!
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #781 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Sci-FI
Great call Stavy, how could I forget 'V'
I remember watching this the first time it aired (when I was but a teen) in 1984 on ITV just before the Live L.A. Olympics
aired over on BBC1, it caused a bit of a stir at the time, they aired both the 1st mini series and the 2nd togeather and it was fantastic!!!
The Green Alien baby caused the fuss, you can take Mr Ironside, i'll take Faye Grant's Julie or if I'm feeling a little bad :-)
Diana :ohmy:

Agree with Martin too, the remake was far better than I thought it was going to be, even the original 1980's hourly tv episodes
were ok (despite the soap opera type storylines at times) but it's the two mini series I shall always remember, part 2 entitled
"The Final Battle"

I was very lucky to find a complete U.S.A. Warner Press Release Kit for the 'V' Mini Series back in the 1980's when I visted various
Movie & Tv Memoribillia Fairs and it included numerous press release photo's that I've still got to this day...HOW COULD I FORGET
THIS ONE!!! it was a fav of mine at the time and I still revist it every 3 or 4 years :-)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #795 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: Sci-FI
I hope i do not upset the peace too much here but I did not enjoy the pilot of 'Enterprise' and it was a failure (and not very good IMO, but I didn't stick around past Season 1 and I heard it got better). I was looking forward to it at the time as I am a fan of Scott Bakula but the reason I think it failed is because it didn't even try to do what J.J Abrams realised was key to his reboot....Enterprise was a PREQUEL to TOS but they decided to give the aesthetic feel of modern times, which I partly understand because it makes it more realistic to us now and as a foreseeable future but they used a Starfleet uniform which was pretty similar to the First Contact/final seasons of DS9 and had Bakula wearing baseball caps! J,J Abrams fully embraced the 60's retro look and to me that's why the Star Trek prequel film reboot worked and the show didn't.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Darryl James Cooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi, Stavy
More
3 years 8 months ago #803 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Sci-FI
Think I have to agree with Darryl.

Never took to Enterprise, and I like Scott Bakula.

Speaking of which.... Quantum Leap. Although I loved Dean Stockwell's over the top hologram the most.

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #807 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Sci-FI
Consider me UPSET!!! Darryl :-)
Your reasons actually are considered and rather valid...it did seem rather advanced when compared to the TOS I will agree.
I will also agree about the uniforms, they did indeed seem like they came from a later era rather than a pre-Kirk one.

And even though JJ's movies are more adventure/action based I think they work wonderfully as cinema adventures for a modern
audience even if perhaps not the Trek we know from Tv ...they are cinematic and have performed well world wide so far.

This having been said I must disagree with you about the ENTERPRISE Pilot which I feel to be the best of all the Trek pilot episode's
so far (NOT the best Trek series though I might add) it flowed well and set up a great premise which sadly they put on the back burner
for much of this disappointing first season.
I'm glad I hung on in there as it did imho get better.