Sci-FI

More
3 years 8 months ago #472 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: Sci-FI
As a piece of genuine science fiction cinema, of course Flash Gordon is terrible but it is fun and a blast to watch and yes the soundtrack is great!! :cheer: Hopefully being so heavily featured in Ted will give it a whole new audience.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #475 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Sci-FI
Completely agree with 'Agents of Shield' Darryl
'The Lego Movie' is on my need to see list and if your recommending it then i'm sure i'll
enjoy it (we have very similar tastes in this regard although 'Moon' didn't hit me quiet
as much as it did you)

Star Trek II : the Wrath of Khan...Oh WOW! we certainly agree and is still the best in the series.

Mars One - I was under the impression with the bad press recently that this might not happen?
Total Recall...Was Quaid dreaming? (thanks to Rekall) or was he undercover all the time?
Apollo 13 - Ron Howard makes superb films 'Splash' (i am a huge John Candy fan...i love this guy)
"Cocoon" and "Rush" which surprised the hell outta me as to how good that Hunt v Lada film was put
togeather 1970's style (with real craft)

"Highlander" is a wonderful film but like me i think you cheated there as it's more 'Fantasy' will
let you off as i did it with the original Kong :-)

"Close Encounters" YES!!! that Mothership is awesome!!! when i first watched it aged 8 at the cinema
this film blew me away, it was so different and all those smaller ships turned up at the end and it
was thrilling and as you say along came the Mothership to blow all these others to hell it was
spectacle with a captial C...I TRULY LOVE THIS FILM.

I love how "Flash Gordon" was somewhat of a failure upon it's release, then became something of a 'cult'
and is now cherished by most science fiction fans.
It's a shame how so many sci-fi and superhero movies are soooo dark i'm hoping we'll get something bright
and colourful like this and "Barbarella" again someday.

Forgot about "Minority Report" terrific film with as you say a wonderful (yet again) Tom Cruise
performance.

Abi....You don't like FLASH GORDON? or surprised that Darryl did...it is incredibly camp with dialogue
that is silly beyond belief "Kaltus, what play thing have you got for me today?" :-)
But it's so silly it's enjoyably thrilling with effects i find fun today.
Oh and "Gordon's Alive!!!!!!" :-) who don't like that line.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Paul Conway.
More
3 years 8 months ago #477 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Sci-FI
Darryl LOL! Have you heard of the 70's French sci fi animated film 'La Planete Sauvage' by Rene Laloux? It's based on the novel "Oms en serie" by Stefan Wul. If you like experimental Pink Floyd-esque psychedelic jazz...this soundtrack is for you :blink: LOL I will catch the link... will edit this post when I find it.
:)
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #478 by SteveC
SteveC replied the topic: Sci-FI
Hey everyone.

So here is my top 10 list of my fave sci-fi shows in no particular order.

Babylon 5: - This show reshaped the landscape of sci-fi programmes going forward. It was the first sci-fi series to use have a multi-season spanning plot instead of the standard single episodes that existed in isolation. This program paved the way for great shows like Star Trek: DS9 and the Stargates.
Stargate SG1:- Kree! Its just awesome, awesome plot great enemies and a surprising lack of techno babble (mostly).
Stargate Atlantis: Stargate SG1 with upgraded graphics. If it was a word I would say its even more awesomer than Stargate SG1.
Star Trek DS9: - Surely this one needs no introduction, great plot again, believe enemies and great flight scenes.
The Black Hole: I had great childhood memories of this one with Maximillian and flying dustbin lids what more could a kid ask for. :)
Saturn 3: I hid behind a cushion on the sofa when I first saw this, that robot scared the hell out of me!
2001 A Space Odyssey - The epics of all epics, totally awesome if you have a spare 3 and a bit hours.
Starchasher The Legend Of Orin: Again another childhood great. Not entirerly sure how that awesome ship is such a bad shot, I mean its a computer... but apart from that, woo hoo!
Transformers The Movie (original anime version):- I totally didnt buy this one on DVD when I saw it the other day, no sir, its also not still amazing.
Forbidden Planet: Every time I watch this I can't believe how awesome it still is, the bad guy is so powerful and menacing, still a great movie.

I am sure I could think of plenty more great sci-fi movies, cartoons and series there are just so many greats to pick from.

I will do SCIENCE to it.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by SteveC.
More
3 years 8 months ago #481 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Sci-FI
Paul/Steve (yes I know who you are now) Flash Gordon is hot :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveC
More
3 years 8 months ago #489 by Darryl James Cooper
Darryl James Cooper replied the topic: Sci-FI
Abi...prepare yourself..La Planete Sauvage...is also known in English as Fantastic Planet...WHICH I DO OWN ON DVD! :ohmy: (however I have not yet actually watched it)

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
Dr. Carl Sagan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abi