Sci-FI

More
3 years 8 months ago #347 by Abi
Abi replied the topic: Sci-FI
Where's Darryl James Cooper??? And Paul Conway for that matter?!!
  • Paul Conway
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • I LOVE this PLANET
More
3 years 8 months ago #354 by Paul Conway
Paul Conway replied the topic: Sci-FI
Paul who? :-)
I'm gonna GEEK OUT with a List and later will go into more details about my LOVE for them :cheer:

All Trek (TOS my fav)
Battlestar Galactica (I don't like it when the fans of the new hate on the older version)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (so camp they should have a tent in each episode but Wilma!!!)
The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (BBC Mini Series CLASSIC)
The Six Million Dollar Man & The Bionic Woman (Jaime Sommers major crush)
The Outer Limits (old & new)
The Twilight Zone (old and new) 'The Star' episode is relevant to our mission.
Amazing Stories (Speilberg's short lived but high quality anthology)
Space 1999 (season 1 rocks...season 2 crazy fun)
Eureka (aka A Town Called Eureka) missed a number of these need to catch up
Wonder Woman
Timecop (9 fun episode's)
U.F.O.
Sliders
The Lost World
Cleopatra 2525
Pushing Daises
Birds of Prey
Stargate Atlantis
Supernatural (again missed a number of these)
The Chronicle
Special Unit 2
The Tick (live action fantasy comedy)
Tales from the Crypt (HBO's EC Comics come to live) Horror series
Futurama (animated classic)
Sledge Hammer (comedy but tinged with Sci-Fi elements at times)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (not always horror)
Angel
Smallville
Reaper
The Middleman (great fun)
The X-Files (yup folks it's coming back) :-)
Friday the 13th : the Series (again not always horror episodes)
Lois & Clark
Monsters
Lost
Dr Who
Captain Caveman (animated from the 70's...LOVED this as a kid)
Battle of the Planets (7sark7)
Heroes
The Event (a fun mini series type)
The Martian Chronicles (Bradbury's 70's mini series)
Mr Merlin (1970's fantasy magic comedy series)
Warehouse 13
Merlin (BBC Tv)
Agents of Shield
Warehouse 13
Jake 2.0
Dark Skies (similar to X-Files but more focused on the Aliens aspect)
Mork & Mindy
Terminator (series 1 good...2 not so much)
Knight Rider (new & old)
Quark
Thunderbirds
Fringe (JJ.Abrahams AWESOME Tv Series!!!)
The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries (Pamela Sue Martin crush)
Alias (sci-fi aspects)
and
The Avengers (Tv series starring Angela Lamont...sorry I mean Diana Rigg) :-)

I'm sure I've missed something :-)
  • Mike de Sousa
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Artist, Composer, and Writer...
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #364 by Mike de Sousa
Mike de Sousa replied the topic: Sci-FI
What a great thread - Thanks Martin! I was first hooked on Sci-Fi as a child watching Lost In Space which came onto the scene just before Star Trek.

Paul Geek Out has listed quite a few :) Here are some of my personal best sci-fi - I've limited the films to a top ten which was a tough call - of course Star Trek has to get a list all of its own...

Mike's Top Ten Sci Fi Films

Spoiler Alert! While there are no spoilers in this post, I link to the Wikipedia entries which give away the plot. Please don't check these out until after you've seen the movie!

Contact: based on Carl Sagan's novel, Directed by Robert Zemeckis and a screenplay by James V. Hart and Michael Goldenberg, this is my number one as much for personal reasons as for the ideas and the film's story. For me it satisfies me intellectually, emotionally, and aesthetically and I'm driven from start to end with its narrative. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(1997_US_film)

The remaining are in alphabetical order...

Apollo 13: Ron Howard's beautifully crafted film that just has to be on my list. I am a child of the sixties and the Apollo space missions were inspirational. Apollo 13 perfectly captures the excitement and drama: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13_(film)

Frequencies: Directed written and produced by Darren Paul Fisher. This is not a conventional sci-fi movie, but as with so many independent projects this is a thought provoking and original gem of a film: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequencies_(film)

Her: Spike Jonze's superb and sometimes explicit investigation of our relationship with technology and one another: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)

iRobot: Directed by Alex Proyas with a screenplay by Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman based on the Isaac Asimov classic short story this is a great si-fi romp. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Robot_(film)

Moon: Directed by Duncan Jones, with a fabulous screenplay by Nathan Parker and staring Sam Rockwell. Although it's not for the squeamish, this is a powerful and provocative film (if you enjoy this you might also watch Oblivion): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)

The Day the Earth Stood Still: This was a seminal film in my childhood. I was inspired by Robert Wise's film and completely involved in Edmund H. North's narrative. I still love watching this classic tale of first contact: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still

The Lego Movie: I loved this film by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. A smart and funny kids animation with rich text for the film fan: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lego_Movie

The Matrix: the classic action-packed saga by the exceptional Wachowski Brothers that explores reality, religion and redemption: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix

WALL-E: the beautifully envisioned children's sc-fi animation directed by Andrew Stanton and with a fine screenplay by Andrew and Jim Reardon. The music score by Thomas Newman is gorgeous, the narrative: heart felt, and the message spot on. Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel which is sung during the final credits completes this must see movie for all ages: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E

My favourite Star Trek Episodes

In the Pale Moonlight (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Pale_Moonlight

Real Life (Star Trek: Voyager): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Life_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

The Offspring (Star Trek: The Next Generation): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Someone to Watch Over Me (Star Trek: Voyager): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someone_to_Watch_O...(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Duet (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duet_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)

Recommended Viewing

Firefly

I also recommend you watch Joss Whedon's excellent sci-fi series Firefly - a great character driven space-cowboy romp of a series - some episodes are not for children: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Non-Fiction

In The Shadow of the Moon: a superb and moving portrait of the Apollo missions directed by David Sington and Christopher Riley who allow the journey to unfold in the words of the astronauts: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Shadow_of_the_Moon_(film)

And that's only a glimpse and hasn't touched on my wider viewing! OK, perhaps it's clear I'm also a movie geek :)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mike de Sousa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fawkes
  • Martin P
  • Martin P's Avatar Topic Author
  • What ever you do, don't press the button
More
3 years 8 months ago #367 by Martin P
Martin P replied the topic: Sci-FI
Lost in space Mike was brilliant. I am too young to have seen it when it came out :P but remember the reruns on channel 4 on a Sunday morning. If you ignore the dodgy sets the great thing about that series was the storylines. I may be remembering it through rose tinted glasses but it's put a smile on my face :-)

My other signature is much better than this one!
  • Fawkes
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • Also known as Lee
More
3 years 8 months ago #370 by Fawkes
Fawkes replied the topic: Sci-FI
That's a good list mike. One of my favourites irobot was extremely under rated. The matrix another favourite. Though I prefered the earlier bits when they could only run from the agents not fight them. I also loved every terminator film but again t1 and 2 was best 3-4 not as much. 5 is out soon and it has a young cgi Arnie as well as the real deal and liquid metal is back. Looks fun.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.
More
3 years 8 months ago #376 by Stavy
Stavy replied the topic: Sci-FI
I loved Lost in Space. Robbie the robot a spin off from the robot in Forbidden Planet. I never took to Dr Who, but loved things like Blakes 7 and Tomorrow People. Captain Scarlet, Firefox XL5, Stingray, Joe 90, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants. There was also Outer Limits

I considered Space 1999 to be more a documentary of how things were going to be, maybe even within my lifetime.

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. [/size]